University of Minnesota Morris
Take a Virtual Campus Tour Schedule a Visit Request Info

Getting Started: Research and Creative Activities

So you’ve decided to do a research project, now what?

Who should I talk to?
To learn more about getting involved in undergraduate research or creative activities, talk to the ACE director, your academic adviser, and/or your instructors. Morris faculty are happy to help you find ways to get involved in research and creative activities. They can help you clarify your research and creative goals and identify existing programs that you may be able to apply for or participate in.
Using human subjects?
The University requires all researchers working with human subjects to complete ethics training. Visit the Office of Community Engagement, Welcome Center 206, 320-589-6276 to learn more about ethics training.
You should also review the Institutional Review Board’s website to read about guidelines for using human subjects. While visiting this page be sure to read about the sections titled “Student Researchers,” “Does My Research Need IRB Review” and “Guidance & FAQs
Search for additional resources in your field »
Where should I look?
Research QuickStart
The Research QuickStart, maintained by the Morris Briggs Library, will help you find books, websites, indexes, and other sources for your investigation or activity.
Center for Small Towns (applied research and scholarship)
The Center for Small Towns is an outreach program housed on the Morris campus that serves small towns, local units of government, K–12 schools, nonprofit organizations, and others who wish to make use of University resources as they address rural issues and challenges. Students participate in internships and service learning projects, assisting citizens with a wide range of tasks including surveys, data analysis, and asset mapping in areas such as renewable energy, access to healthcare, infrastructure, and civic involvement.
Discipline websites
Many disciplines offer a page about research opportunities and programs from their websites. Find your major and available opportunities!
National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
The National Science Foundation (NSF) funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU program. Morris students may visit an REU site institution for several weeks, often during the summer, to participate in research working closely with faculty or other investigators. Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel. Undergraduate students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
The UROP is a Universitywide program. The program is intended to encourage undergraduate students to conduct research or pursue academic interests in partnership with faculty. Awards are made twice yearly. The UROP website also contains tips for pursuing undergraduate research or creative activities.
Council on Undergraduate Research
The Council on Undergraduate Research is a resource to connect students and faculty with undergraduate research opportunities. Provides information about meetings, programs, and publications across a wide-variety of disciplines.