Student Study Abroad Checklist
In addition to the checklist, here are some important things to think of before going abroad.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Morris campus study abroad adviser to discuss your travel plans.
- Meet with your academic adviser and/or discipline coordinator for your major to discuss your plans and how they relate to your academic pursuits.
- Make sure that you have a passport and any other necessary documentation such as visas.
- Contact your bank, and let them know that you will be leaving the country, your destination(s) and timeframe.
- Know what your contact information abroad will be and make sure a few people in the United States know how to get a hold of you while you are away.
- Consider registering your travel plans with the U.S. Department of State so that you can be contacted more easily in case of an emergency and also to receive information from the local U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Research! Read about where you are headed—the news, history, and about the culture. This will help you feel more comfortable in your new location and understand the culture and current events better.
- Pack light! While researching your destination, think about what you need to bring with you and what you can leave behind. It’s easier to get around if you don’t have several huge bags to maneuver.
- Be sure to look at the health and safety information available on this site for tips and things to be aware of while abroad.