Bush IT Meeting
February 9, 2005
Faculty Center - 9:00 - 10:00 AM
Engin Sungur, Pam Gades, Karen Johnson, Linda Pederson
Paul Myers, Scott Esler,
Katherine Benson (due to injury, arrived at end of meeting - told highlights of meeting)
Engin told committee about the Bush meeting on the TC campus.
Pam checked on the e-portfolio - was not sure if faculty would have access to input information on not.
- Engin will talk to Dian Lopez about the e-portfolio.
- Engin asked if we could not get e-portfolio - should it be put on web. Engin will talk to Scott Esler about this.
- Pam said the portfolio has changed - different tool than what we had before. Suggested looking at trainings in TC, or can bring someone to Morris for training. She said this would require a lot of time for each project participant.
- Karen said Ethan designed a form that allows faculty to in and add information - said it tracks well.
Engin will have conference call with Assessment group on 2/10/05 - will help design the assessment tool. Engin said he would tell the group that five types of assessment are needed.
- Survey - what stage is it in?
Engin distributed copies of the Project Profiles in draft form, asking permission to show to the project participants for review, answer questions, and make necessary changes.
- Engin changed Project profiles with suggestions he received
- Katherine Benson edited new Section L - will help with assessment
- Need to decide on Consulting group members
- Create trainings - check with faculty to see the different tools in use, who is using what, how it helps and present to faculty.
Pam suggested a small IT Fair - Share different programs used by faculty. (i.e. Moodle, WebCT, Vista , Course Management Systems, msn messenger, discussion board). What faculty is using to interact with students? Pam commented that there is never a good time for the IT Fair when faculty can all come. She told about meeting with each Discipline specifically (1 hr), interaction with faculty on what they are doing and showed tools that could be used. She said this was well-received and got feedback. Karen said should ask faculty what they are interested in. Karen talked about Teaching by Design - this was a late afternoon/dinner with breakout session. (Over 200 teachers attended)
Engin asked members to create a list of faculty/staff using technology to communicate with students and faculty. Engin will compose an e-mail and send to each faculty asking
- What are you using?
- How are you using it in the classroom?
- Provide links if possible
- Do you know of a colleague using something interesting?
This information would be put together and make available for UMM faculty - Breeze-Live presentation. Pam said could do a couple of interactive presentations - presentations could be taped for those who could not attend. Karen said it is important to have faculty demonstrate.
Need to determine the Consulting group (2 staff members, 3 faculty members, and students)
Staff - Pam, Karen
Faculty - Greg Thorson, Pam Solvie, (May keep the 3 rd faculty member flexible - have available to do presentations - decide what we want faculty to do and amount of money)
Send faculty names to itcorelists.umn.edu