BUSH IT CORE GROUP MEETING
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
2:15 pm - Faculty Center , East Annex
Engin Sungur, Karen Cusey, Pam Solvie, Molly Kloek, Roger Boleman,Pam Gades and Katherine Benson
||Paul Myers (schedule conflict)
Bush IT Core Group Meeting Minutes 9/29/05
Agenda, Inter-Campus Conversation on Innovative Teaching, Assessment
and Evaluation Matrix
The IccIT/Senate Committee Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 1 at UMM. Sungur discussed the schedule (Inter-Campus Conversations on Innovative Teaching) which will be combined with the IT Senate Meeting. Sungur said these conversations on innovative teaching aim to enhance and promote collaboration among the four university campuses, and will provide an opportunity for the various campuses working on the Bush Grant to share their experiences. Sungur said this will be a bi-monthly event. UMM will present the first using Breeze LIVE. Members discussed the event schedule.
- Gades noted a trial set-up scheduled for October 27 or 28 for all campuses in Oyate
- Lunch and slideshow presentation scheduled at 12:30 pm; the slideshow will highlight UMM Technology Activities. The IT Senate Committee, FCLT, Computing Services, and Media Services will provide funding for the lunch.
- Event attendees will include Bush IT Core Group, Bush IT Consulting Group, Bush IT Project Participants, IT Senate Committee members, and UMM Administration.
- Sungur will finalize the schedule today and send to members in PDF form.
- Boleman and Gades will discuss tech set-up for the event.
The External Grant Evaluation Team will visit UMM on November 8; Sungur noted activities include focus groups for the Bush IT Core Group, Bush IT Consulting Group, and Bush IT Projects participants. Pederson has requested schedules from all participants for setting up the focus group schedules. Sungur said the External Grant Evaluation Team's responsibility is to gather information from all four campuses and send to the Bush Foundation.
Sungur discussed the Assessment Matrix (handout) with members. He noted two assessment issues:
- Assessment/evaluation component of teaching/learning process in general
- Assessment/evaluation of the Bush grant projects and the grant in general
Sungur asked members to add or modify the Evaluation/Assessment components.
Benson discussed other assessment considerations, which included:
- What the instructor will do to assess student learning
- Evaluation of grant in performance of the instructor, did the instructor learn technology and apply it to their course?
- Goals/Educational values - what did the instructor want the students to learn?
- Identify specifics
- Instructors sharing goals, objectives with students
- measuring/assessing over time
- multiple assessments
- multiple measures
- more than one way to measure objectives
- plan specific times for assessment
- be specific about expectation - give students a model, how will information be used
- assess if assessment was valuable (would additional questions be useful?)
- look at broader picture
Discussion included adding more items to the matrix and/or creating an additional matrix for general assessment; suggesting the two matrices could be side by side. Sungur said the second round of the grant would focus on developing tools for Assessment and Evaluation. He said there are various ways of asking the same question and the use of technology will help us achieve this. A sub-committee formed to discuss the matrix. (Benson, Sungur, and Solvie)
TIMELINE FOR THE NEW ROUND OF GRANTS
Sungur discussed the timeline for the new round of the grant.
- The Statement of Interest will be sent on December 19, 2005 by hard copy, e-mail and posted on the web site.
- The Bush IT Core Group will evaluate received Statements of Interest on January 6, 2007.
- Interviews to obtain details about projects will take place after January 6, 2006 with detailed project proposals due January 27.
- First week of February 2006 - Bush IT Core Group will select the projects.
Sharepoint & UMCal Training
Gades said UMCal and Sharepoint training is available; she will come to the faculty's office for individualized training.
Members discussed a new meeting time to accommodate everyone's schedule. Sungur suggested meeting at 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM if agreeable with all members. No date/time set for the next meeting.
The Assessment/Evaluation Sub-committee (Benson, Sungur, and Solvie) will meet Wednesday, October 26 at 2:15 PM in the Faculty Center .
Meeting adjourned at 3:25 PM.