Bush IT Core Group Meeting
Monday, December 12, 2005
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Location: Faculty Center, East Annex
Engin Sungur, Pam Gades, Karen Cusey, Katherine Benson, Paul Myers, Roger Boleman, Molly Kloekand Pam Solvie
The meeting began at 1:30 PM. Sungur distributed the agenda to committee members.
- Pam Solvie and Molly Kloek will present at the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, 17 th International Conference March 20-24, 2006 in Orlando, Florida. Sungur noted the Bush Grant would provide funding for conference registration and travel expenses.
IccIT, Inter-campus Communications on Innovative Teaching
- Members discussed continuing the IccIT; Focus for 2006 is Using IT for course assessment and evaluation. Sungur said the next IccIT scheduled for February would need to be coordinated with the four campuses. He said we will ask for contributions from the other campuses, but Morris will host the event.
- Solvie suggested building more time into the event, allowing for question/answer time for presentations.
- Discussed presenters for the IccIT event in February.
- Discussed funding of event; Sungur said he will be attending a TEL Meeting on Wednesday, and would ask for support.
- A member suggested the IccIT be every other month (February/April), instead of every month.
Members discussed creating a model at UMM; suggestions included:
- Create a support system and coordinate. Discussed responsibility of different areas (FCLT, Computing Services, Media Service)
- Inform the faculty, provide more support
- Hands on training
- Gades suggested a podcast session in April and discussed possible areas this could be used to demonstrate (dances, enrollment, admissions, etc)
- Create 2 models (Desk Side Coaching and Continued support)
- May create more interest to pursue a program if the faculty are shown how it affects a course, how a program is used in a course, and student achievement.
- Advertise job to students with an interest to learn; training provided. It was suggested a training certificate be presented to student. Sungur noted the Science 3625 (support center) will be open again if we are able to find students interested in working in the support center.
- Need incentives to keep students (and faculty) involved with the support center.
Boleman said Computing Services, Media Services, and the Library are working on surveys and they will be sent out in spring semester.
Student Learning and Project Assessment and Evaluation
Sungur discussed the learning style questionnaires; he said faculty should ask their students to take one of the questionnaires and place students in one of the categories. Faculty should submit the results to him and Sungur will carry out the statistical analysis of the data and return the results back to the faculty.
Bush Statement of Interest 2005-06
Statements of Interest have been received, more expected.
Next meeting in 2006.
Meeting adjourned at 2:30 PM.