Bush IT Core Group Meeting
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
9:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Location: Faculty Center , East Annex
Engin Sungur, Pam Gades, Karen Cusey, Pam Solvie, Molly Kloek, Roger Boleman and Katherine Benson
The meeting began at 9:30 AM in the Faculty Center . Sungur distributed the proposed agenda for today's meeting.
Year 2 Budget
Sungur distributed a copy of the Year 2 budget for review and discussion. Sungur noted that there is a carry over from last year's budget; this amount will be added to the year 2 budget. Sungur reviewed each budget category with the members, noting his explanation and comments. Sungur said he will request $4500 additional funding to supplement the projects, travel, or as directed by the IT Core Group.
Consulting Group (4 students, 3 Faculty, 2 Professional Staff)
- Suggested to hire three students instead of four
- Need to select the faculty for the consulting group
- Sungur will ask for flexibility of funds (may need flexibility with the Professional Staff)
Sungur has met and discussed the projects in more detail with the applicants. Sungur noted the following:
- Project submitted by John Ross
Sungur said Ross thought this was an equipment grant; Sungur noted Ross is leaving UMM, funding denied.
- Project submitted by Jimmy Schryver
Sungur discussed ways to integrate project with course, noting a group of Art History faculty will be involved with the project. Discussed the project, and involvement of the Consulting Group students. Sungur said everything is on slides for Art History, would give assistance in integrating podcasting, and in organizing the database. Members agreed to fund the project at $2000.
- Project submitted by Greg Thorson
This is continuation from last year's project. Sungur said Thorson will do more assessment and integration of the project in his course; will use his experience to evaluate various projects. Project will receive $500 partial funding, more if additional funding becomes available.
- Project submitted by Byungik Kahng
This is continuation from last year's project. Project will receive $500 partial funding, more if additional funding becomes available.
- Project submitted by Ted Pappenfus
Project would involve other Chemistry faculty (Nancy Carpenter, Jen Goodnough). Pappenfus discussed the project (heard about it through a Chemistry Conference). Gades said she would like to get more information from the website on the equipment and software. Project funded at $2000.
- Project submitted by Pam Solvie
Funded at $2000
- Project submitted by Jeffrey Ratliff-Crain
Funded at $2000
- Project submitted by Carol Marxen
Funded at $2000
Members agreed to fund five projects at $2000 each and two projects at $500. If additional funding becomes available, the two projects may receive additional funds. Sungur will contact the IT Core Group for advising the allotment of the additional funds when he receives notification.
The committee discussed offering additional funding for completion of projects from last year; a member suggested reviewing the final project reports. Sungur would invite Tammy Berberi to participate this year to complete and assess the project from last year. A member suggested that Min Zhou would be another possibility. Additional funding will be available, amount to be determined.
Pam Solvie will serve on the evaluation group for the U of M TEL projects.
Personal Response Systems
Members discussed the personal response systems available.
- WebCT Vista integration is possible with more than one of the major competitors
- E-Instruction - Gades noted that E-Instruction equipment is free as far as the presenter, but students purchase their own response units and pay a fee to be registered for each semester. E-Instruction claims to be low cost for the student.
- InterWrite (GTO-Calcomp) - Several funding models, but can be handled similar to E-Instruction system. Higher quality personal response units and more choices for types of response systems (IR, RF, and wireless). Seems to be the system that the Chemistry faculty have decided on.
Gades said she would like to see more than one system tested, allowing for comparison of the systems. Members suggested E-Instruction (Thorson) and comparison of two systems (same class) by the Chemistry Discipline.
Sungur discussed the Croquet Project - game-based software developed by the University
Sungur said Science 3625 is fully functional; it is set up with Mac, PC, and telephone. Students working with the Bush Grant are Molly Kloek, Brady Alasker, and Matt Helgeson (MSAF).
Suggestions for student work included:
- Separate projects, list resources available for each
- Learn Dreamweaver
- TEL Website: update and maintain
Benson requested a different site instead of Sharepoint for collaborative/record-keeping for the Bush Grant. She commented that Sharepoint could not do things the old WebCT could; finds it very frustrating. Gades said that she agrees that Sharepoint is difficult to use. Discussed the IT Core Group trying WebCT-Vista as a possibility.
Gades will work with the TEL Website; the templates do not comply with UMM's template and changes to the site are difficult to make. She will work with the students.
IT Core Group Meeting 1/30/06
Members approved the Bush IT Core Group minutes dated 1/30/06.
Bush IT Core Group Meeting 2/22/06
Members discussed the agenda for the next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, February 22. To accommodate everyone's schedule, the meeting time is changed to 11:00 AM. Sungur asked members to compile a list of areas to aid assistance to the projects for the meetings. Selection of the Consulting Group (3 Faculty, 2 Professional Staff) is also on the agenda. Benson said she may not have time to be on the IT Consulting Group due to summer commitments, but is willing to remain as a Bush IT Core Group member.
Breeze Live Presentation
Discussed Breeze Live presentation, tentative date is April 4. Members discussed location, suggestions included:
- present in HFA; everyone participates by their own computer
- present in classroom with computers
Gades will check into location for the Breeze Live presentation.
Participation in 2006 Bush Grant
Letters mailed this week to project participants.
Documents distributed at today's meeting included:
- Bush IT Gore Group Meeting Agenda 2/15/06
- Bush YR 2 Budget
- Assessment of Priorities
- Bush IT 2005 Grant Participation Letter (review and editing)
- Bush IT Core Group Minutes 1/30/06 (for review and approval)
Meeting adjourned at 10:45 AM.