Bush IT Core Group Meeting
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
3:30 - 4:30 PM
Location: Faculty Center, East Annex
Engin Sungur, Karen Cusey, Pam Gades, Pam Solvie, Brady Alsaker, Roger Boleman and Katherine Benson
Bush IT Core Group Minutes 9/27/06
Minutes dated 9/27/06 were distributed. Sungur asked for corrections and/or approval of the minutes. Members reviewed the minutes, one revision noted. Minutes unanimously approved as amended.
External Review Visit
Sungur discussed Robert Holloway's visit to UMM on Tuesday, October 17. Sungur said he had received the questions Holloway will be asking the core and consulting groups, students, and project participants. Sungur said after the visit, Holloway will send the report to all campus coordinators for review, than to the Bush Foundation.
Sungur said Pederson is compiling a general report of all projects, using the project detail data and reflection logs.
Gades will send the May 16 Assessment Survey results data to Sungur.
IccIT Event - November 7
The IccIT Event scheduled for Tuesday, November 7 is in the Cougar Room. Sungur discussed the schedule, noting the suggested changes.
- Lunch 12:00 -12:45 pm
- Presentations 12:45 -1:45 pm
- Carol Carrier 12:45 (Thank you to all participants)
Other discussion included:
- As Linda Jorn will not be at the meeting, members discussed who would be the lead person to do the welcome and introductions at the event - suggestions included Dave W./TC or Pam G./UMM)
- Show video from the Fall Faculty Retreat that portrays student computer usage, may follow with discussion
- Each presentation scheduled for 10 minutes should remain on schedule. A member suggested a 2-minute warning of time remaining. Clicker presentation - Sungur talked with Thorson, Pappenfus, and Carpenter. Thorson has another commitment Nov. 7, will not be available. Sungur said Pappenfus/Carpenter will possibly present, but have not experienced the use of clickers at this time. Gades suggested a presentation on the investigation of clickers, and the problems encountered. Solvie suggested that Pappenfus and Carpenter could present on their projects regarding their hopes and reasons for using clickers and that it may bring about good discussion with the larger group.
- Discussed Interwrite SchoolPad - Gades said that Nancy Carpenter is arranging a meeting regarding the use of clickers at UMM for October 20 at 4:00 pm. All faculty will be invited to attend.
- Gades suggested that we encourage people to bring a laptop to the event or perhaps provide at least one at each table.
- Discussed set-up of Cougar Room for Event, Boleman suggested the screen set-up in the SE corner, sit chairs at a diagonal. He will look and get back to Pederson.
- Sungur will finalize the schedule of the IccIT Event and share contact information with Gades for Breeze event planning purposes.
- Discussed lunch - members agreed pizza/salad
- Discussed alternatives for UMM presentation at IccIT Event
- Show Student Video/discussion
- Ask Sylke Boyd or Nic McPhee to present
Sungur said if Pappenfus/Carpenter were unable to present on Clickers, he would ask Sylke Boyd to Share results on student learning (presentation from FFR06).
Sungur said after the evaluator visit next week, we would decide on the direction for year three of the grant. A member commented the amount of funding faculty receive limits what can be done, and suggested a different funding model.
Discussion deferred until after evaluator's visit.
Discussed recent resignation of Casey Wagner (Computer Services); how her resignation will affect technical support for faculty.