Bush IT Core Group Meeting
Monday, March 12, 2007
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Location: Faculty Center, East Annex
Present: Engin Sungur, Roger Boleman, Paul Myers, Pam Gades, Karen Cusey, and Pam Solvie
Absent: Katherine Benson, Brady Alsaker
Bush IT Project Details
Members received copies of the detailed Bush IT Projects for the following projects:
- Marynel Ryan , Assistant Professor of History, “ Web Development for History 3204 – Nazi Germany Course.”
- Ted Pappenfus, Associate Professor of Chemistry, “ Maximizing Efficiency in Undergraduate Chemistry Labs.”
- Pam Solvie, Assistant Professor of Education, “Engaging Students with Multiple Learning Styles Using Kolb’s Learning Cycle, Content Delivery Tools, and Blended Learning.”
- Seung-Ho Joo, Associate Professor of Political Science, “ Engaging World Politics Students by Offering Course Materials in Multiple Format.s”
- Dennis Stewart, Associate Professor of Psychology, “ Creating an online Intro. Psych course with video lectures and powerpoint.”
- Paul Myers, Associate Professor of Biology, “New Course Design for Introductory Biology Course – Fundamentals of Genetics, Evolution, and Development”
- Engin Sungur, Professor of Statistics, “Vertically Integrated Course Material Development for Different Learning Styles in Statistics.”
Gades and Cusey will detail and submit the 8 th project this week, Pederson will make copies and send to the Bush IT Core Group members.
- Katherine Benson, Associate Professor of Psychology), Karen Cusey, Program Associate of CERP, and Pam Gades, Instructional Technology Specialist at UMM, “Expanding the Innovative Teaching Prototype Course.”
Bush IT Consulting Group
Members reviewed the project details, and discussed possible faculty/staff for the Consulting group.
- Sungur reported three students hired for the Consulting Group, Brady Alsaker (Project Manager), Justin Quade and Andy Geyer. Pederson said beginning this summer, pay is determined for workstudy students by skill classification. After discussion, members agreed to ‘Information Technology’ as the classification; and intermediate and advanced skill levels. Pederson will type the contracts to reflect the classification and pay.
- Project Participants and Consulting Group members will receive half their pay in May (after classes end) and the other half of pay beginning of August.
- IT Core Group – paid when academic year ends.
- Staffs pay through travel funds.
- The committee discussed faculty/staff as possible consulting group members. Sungur said he would compile a list for the next meeting.
- Discussed writing programs; it was suggested to formally set up specific items that we need help with. Discussed asking Brad/Scott (TC) to be part of the Consulting group.
- Sungur said the Consulting Group should be determined by April.
- April 22, 2007 – open reception for all Bush Grant participants. Pederson reported sending an e-mail to all participants; six people have confirmed they will attend the reception/conference. (Jeff Ratliff-Crain, Pam Gades, Pam Solvie, Engin Sungur, Roger Boleman and Paul Myers) A 7-passenger van is reserved for April 22-23)
- Sungur noted three of the presentations are by Bush Grant participants; the presentation from UMM include
- Poster Session (10:00-10:30) “A Model to Enhance Student Learning by Addressing Diverse Learning Styles/Preferences,” Brady Alsaker, Katherine Benson, Roger Boleman, Karen Cusey, Pam Gades, Paul Myers, Pam Solvie and Engin Sungur.
- Roundtable Discussions (10:30 AM) “Disabilities and Foreign Language Learning: A Roundtable,” Tammy Berberi
- Presentation (2:00 PM) “Planning and Implementing a Successful Service-Learning Course(in the Social Sciences),” Pareena Lawrence.
- Presentation (2:35 pm) “The Use of Concept Maps and Graphs in the Instructional Process,” Pam Solvie
- Sub-committee members for design of the poster presentation include Pam Gades, Pam Solvie, Engin Sungur, and Karen Cusey. Roger said possibly that Mike Cihak could help with the design, he will ask Mike if he has time to help. Gades will schedule first session for the subcommittee. Members discussed the information to be included:
- Support structure
- projects and outcomes
- card with resources (discuss designing as post card or bookmark (300 copies) – information would include name of presentation and url link – presentations will be linked from FCLT website)
Design a proposal to receive additional funding from TC. (Pilot project)
Bush IT Core Group Minutes (1/24, 1/31, 2/7, and 2/21) must be approved before posting to the web, Pederson will e-mail the minutes for review/editing before posting.
Meeting adjourned at 10:20 AM.