University of Minnesota Morris


UMM Home > Academic Advising > Parents > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. If I am paying for my son or daughter's education, why can’t I get a copy of their records?

The same laws that give parents and students access to and control over a child’s educational records during elementary and high school transfer ownership of the records to the student at the college level.

According to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as the Buckley Amendment), college students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. Under this law, parents who want to receive a copy of their student’s academic or financial records can do so if their student signs a release form. FERPA, along with the State of Minnesota Data Privacy Act, forms the backdrop for the Regents Policy on Access to Student Records.

2. How can I get a copy of my son or daughter's grades or find out who is their adviser?

The quickest, easiest way for parents to receive information about their child’s grades, financial statement, or other student information is for the student to provide it. Students can look up information online, print it off, and give or e-mail a copy to their parents. Student records are available at the student One Stop Web site.

3. In order for my son or daughter to continue their health insurance through my employee coverage, the insurance company wants proof that they are enrolled full time. Also, my auto insurance company needs proof of their grade point average so that we can keep their "good student discount." Where do we get that proof?

Verifications (also called Certifications) are usually done to officially verify information about students for scholarships, loan deferments, car insurance, health/medical insurance, or future employment. We can verify degrees earned, dates of enrollment, credits earned, grade point average, and more!

Your student will need to download the Verification form for completion from the Registrar's page or send us a written letter.

4. How many credits does a student need to be registered for to be considered a full-time student?

These credit amounts hold true for each term: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
Full-time student = 12+ credits
Three-quarter time student = 9 to 11 credits
Half-time student = 6 to 8 credits
Less than half-time student = <6 credits

Senior = completed 90+ credits
Junior = completed between 60 and 90 credits
Sophomore = completed between 30 and 60 credits
Freshman = completed less than 30 credits

5. My son or daughter is not doing well academically. How can I help?

Students, particularly freshmen, can encounter academic difficulties. First year students often face difficult transitions and adjustments to college, including separating from family members, adjusting to new living arrangements, and accommodating the University's higher academic standards.

Students are encouraged to find someone to talk to on campus. Resources include the Student Affairs office, Academic Assistance, Academic Advising, Health Services, their academic adviser, and others. The Guide to Campus Resources page lists the resources available to help with any problems your student may be having.

6. My son or daughter has taken Advanced Placement or PSEO classes. Will they get credit for their work?

Yes. Students with PSEO or transfer credit, are responsible for providing an official copy of their transcript from the other institution. The UMM Transfer Specialist will review the credit and let the student know how credit can be applied to a UMM degree.

Credit is awarded for students who score 3 or above on AP exams.
Click here for detailed information.

Information about both programs along with other ways to earn credit is available at Other Credit and Learning Opportunities.