February 1, 2012
TO: UMM Education Candidates
FROM: Gary L. Donovan, Coordinator, Career Services
SUBJECT: Minnesota Education Job Fair
The annual Minnesota Education Job Fair will be held on Monday, April 23, 2012 at the Minneapolis Convention Center in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. Over 100 school districts from across the country, including Minnesota, will attend to provide information on teaching opportunities and to conduct interviews with teacher applicants for positions in their school districts. The Minnesota Education Career Fair is a private, non-profit event originally sponsored by the Minnesota College and University Placement Association (MCUPA) of which the University of Minnesota-Morris is a member.
Procedures for signing up for the career fair are as follows:
1. Registration begins on February 1 and will be accepted until April 16.
2. Pre-registration will be complete upon payment of a $20 registration fee. Checks should be made payable to UMM and mailed to Career Services. On-site registration is $50.
3. Refunds may be possible if cancellations are made before April 1. After April 1, registration checks will be forwarded to the career fair treasurer and refunds will not be made unless a replacement is found by the individual wishing to cancel.
4. Students should prepare and print multiple copies of a resume prior to the fair.
5. Students are responsible for their own transportation to Minneapolis. Some may want to car pool and/or share housing. Directions and map can be found at: http://www.mcucsa.org/mnedfair/map.aspx
6. The official Education Job Fair hotel is the Hilton Minneapolis & Towers. A special rate of $89 single/double plus tax per night is available by mentioning the code EJF for the Minnesota Education Job Fair Rate. Register by March 30, 2012 for the special rate. For reservations, call 612-376-1000 or 888-933-5363.
At this time, it is not known which school districts will be participating. We do not know the kinds of positions that will be available in the participating school districts; however, a number of the school districts have been hiring on a year-round basis, especially in the areas of science and math, special education, and other areas. School districts that have registered and identified open positions can be found at the Web site: http://www.mcucsa.org/mnedfair. Serious candidates looking for out-of-state employment have the most to gain from participating in this event.
If you want to interview at the fair, it would be to your advantage to send a letter and resume to some of these school districts approximately three to four weeks before the fair to let them know you will be attending. The letter should request application materials including an application form so that you can have it completed prior to the career fair.
Remember, registration for the Minnesota Education Career Fair begins February 1.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me, or Irene Maloney at 320-589-6065 or email@example.com.