University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Faculty Center > Development Committee > 01-02 Minutes > 2/12/02

 

Faculty Development Committee

Minutes for February 26, 2002
4 PM Faculty Center
Humanities Annex


Present: Harold Hinds (Chair), Bert Ahern, Gordon McIntosh, and Stacey Parker Aronson

Absent: Doug Reese, Mike Rea , and Cyrus Pansch

Hinds began the meeting asking for corrections or approval of the FDC Minutes 1/29/02. The minutes were unanimously approved.

Hinds said that he had been contacted by Dian Lopez, Chair of the Assessment of Student Learning committee, concerning the Student Opinion survey. The Student Opinion Survey was brought before the Assembly and it was referred to the ASL committee. Hinds said that Lopez has requested to meet with the FDC committee for consultation of the survey. It was agreed to meet with Lopez on March 26 to discuss the survey.

FALL FACULTY RETREAT

Hinds said that the agenda today would be to discuss the possible topics of the Fall Faculty Re-treat and that by the end of the meeting the committee would be able to recommend to Ahern the subject matter and the speaker, if possible. The possible topics for the retreat include:

  1. Academic Freedom (Richard Zellar)
  2. Advising - Karla Klinger has agreed to meet with the committee if this topic is pursued.
  3. Strengthening faculty skills in working with students of different cultures - this was a result of a suggestion from the Multicultural Student Leadership Retreat; this might be folded into the Academic Freedom topic.
  4. Internationalism
  5. Parker Palmer - Inspired Teaching
  6. Academic Integrity - Hinds said that Leslie Meek (Scholastic Committee) would be willing to meet with the committee on the topic.

Hinds said that because time is limited, it would not be possible to meet with each individually. The committee discussed each of the topics separately. On advising, committee members expressed some concern that advising would not have enough substance as a topic. On the other hand, the inauguration of a system to evaluate advising and the lower student satisfaction with early advising suggested that the topic needed attention. On internationalism, the existence of the Bush grant to integrate study abroad into the curriculum made the topic of some interest. At the same time, committee members suggested that study abroad directly involved only a subset of the faculty and that the grant was providing adequate support for the activity. On multiculturalism, committee members suggested that the Academic Freedom/Academic Orthodoxy topic would subsume some aspects of that topic. Aronson commented that Parker Palmer is very inspiring but probably very expensive. Hinds said that Olson Loy's reading group has been reading Palmer's materials and have been influenced by him. McIntosh suggested that possibly a reading group could be established next year. Hinds asked if money for reading materials could be incorporated into the FCLT budget. The committee discussed Academic Integrity (Plagiarism), this is both a faculty and student issue. Ahern said that this is an important topic, but feels it is not something to start the year off the beginning of the year with at the retreat.

Hinds said that Academic Freedom seems to have the most support. A discussion of the speaker followed. Hinds said he had received an initial proposal from Zellar, but that he requested Zellar to submit a second proposal, which indicated his role, and the ideas that would be dealt with at the retreat. The committee discussed the proposal from Zellar, Ahern commented that the outline of questions were very interesting, but he voiced some concerns. Hinds suggested to Ahern to talk directly with Zellar about his concerns.

Hinds asked if (1) it was the consensus of the committee for the topic to be Academic Freedom? The committee agreed that this would be the topic. (2) Is Richard Zellar an acceptable speaker? Three members agree, one member has concerns. These concerns will be addressed with the Zellar. (3) Hinds said that Ahern (Director of FCLT) should negotiate with the speaker the refinement of the topic and the speaker fee and bring this information back to the committee.

Following past practice, Hinds asked Ahern to engage Zellar with further refinement of what he will present and his fee. Ahern will bring this information back to the committee.

The FDC will meet Tuesday, March 5 to discuss the Faculty Center budget.

Meeting adjourned at 5:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Pederson