University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Faculty Center > Development Committee > 05-06 Minutes > 10/26/05

Faculty Development Committee

Minutes of October 26, 2005
Faculty Center, East Annex
4:00 PM

 

Present:

Cyrus Bina (Chair), Edith Borchardt, Grodon McIntosh, Pam Solvie, Alicia Canfield,and Engin Sungur (Ex Officio).

Absent: See Thao

The meeting began at 4:00 PM in the Faculty Center .

FDC Minutes 10/04/05
Bina asked for corrections and/or approval of the FDC Minutes dated 10/4/05 . Borchardt suggested a correction relating to the Quality of Life Survey. Motion (Solvie/McIntosh) to approve the minutes as amended; unanimously carried.

Dean's Reward for Research and Scholarship
Bina informed the FDC that the Dean has excused himself from today's meeting because of his out-of-state travel, but remarked that he will be invited to our next meeting.

Faculty Input and Needs Letter
Bina reported that he has received a positive reply from Dave Loewi regarding the letter dated October 12; noting that Loewi has already met with Roger Boleman, LeAnn Dean, and Dean Schwaller to discuss a long term technology plan. Loewi will be invited to a future meeting for discussion of Faculty Input and Needs. McIntosh suggested that all faculty development activities must be identified along with necessary budget allocations, and the input should be provided to the Dean. McIntosh and Sungur have agreed to compile a list of activities, given the input from the member of the Committee. .

UMM Distinguished Research Award
A copy of the UMM Distinguished Research Award was distributed to all members. Discussion included rotation of the committee members, chair of the committee, and date of the distribution of the announcement. Bina indicated that the goal is to send the announcement out soon, preferably by Friday, October 28. Pederson informed the Committee that she has already received the list of Distinguished research professors from the Dean's office, and that she will locate and send it to the Committee members for review.

FCLT Name Change
Members discussed changing the name of Faculty Center for Learning and Teaching (FCLT) to The Faculty Center for Scholarship, Teaching, and Outreach, proposed in Sungur's Mission Statement (reviewed in Sept. 20the meeting). After discussion, the Committee agreed that word "Teaching" must be placed at the beginning of the title, and word "Scholarship" must be kept right after that. There was objection to the word "Outreach" in the title due to its probable connotation vis-à-vis the faculty's primary roles. Given the fact that the Faculty Center needs to engage in other activities as well, Sungur will compile a list of titles from other institutions for further discussion at the Committee. By consensus though all members agreed on "The Faculty Center for Teaching and Scholarship"; Sungur will report back to the FDC on other titles before making the final decision relating to the name change.

Quality of Life Survey
A revised copy of the Quality of Life Survey was distributed to members of the Committee; Sungur invited comments for the Committee.

Bina thanked Solvie for composing the letter to Dave Loewi; copies of the letter and Loewi's response were distributed at the meeting. Loewi will be invited to attend a FDC meeting sometime in November.

FDC Minutes
Bina asked Pederson to inform the Committee the way in which the FDC minutes are distributed-noting the importance of being on the same page with the faculty at large by keeping them informed of the FDC's activities. Pederson replied:

  1. The minutes are placed on the web after they have been approved by the FDC, followed by e-mail to facpa, with the minutes attached and the web url is listed;
  2. Two copies of the approved minutes are sent to the Chancellor's office.
  3. Two copies are kept on file at the FCLT

Old Business
None

New Business
Members discussed the agenda for the upcoming FDC meeting. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 8 at 4:00 PM in the Faculty Center . Pederson will contact Dean Schwaller and invite him on behalf of the Committee to attend the meeting for discussion on the Dean's Reward for Research and Scholarship and other pertinent issues surrounding the faculty development at UMM. The agenda will include:

I.  Approval of the FDC Minutes 10/26/05
II.  Discussion with the Dean
III.  Discussion of Name Change for the Faculty Center
IV.  Faculty Quality of Life Survey (Sungur)
     a) Review/discussion of survey
 V.  Discussion of Impact (if any) of the Strategic Planning Survey
VI.  Discussion of the issues to be addressed concerning the session with Dave Loewi

Motion: (Borchardt/Solvie) to adjourn the meeting at 5:07 PM.

Submitted by:
Linda Pederson