University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Faculty Center > Development Committee > 04-05 Minutes > 11/05/04

 

Faculty Development Committee

Minutes for November 5, 2004
2 PM Faculty Center
East Annex

 

Present: Bert Ahern (Chair), Siobhan Bremer, Judy Kuechle, Pam Solvie, and Emily Elsner
Absent: David Hoppe and Thomas Billo II

The meeting began at 2:00 PM . Ahern noted conflicts with the upcoming meetings, and said a new meeting time should be determined. Members discussed the meetings times already scheduled (Nov. 19, and Dec. 3), and decided to reschedule these meetings. The FDC will meet at 1:00 PM on the following Thursdays, November 18 and December 2 at the Faculty Center .

The FDC Minutes 10/22/04 will be e-mailed next week for review and will be on the agenda for November 18 meeting.

UMM Faculty Affairs Committee Proposal
Ahern distributed copies of UMM Faculty Affairs proposal to members for review and discussion. Ahern noted the Executive Board reviewed the proposal on November 4 and discussed with the committee the language changes, committee membership, and other concerns of the Executive Committee. In additions to some clarification in language, two issues arose: 1) why there is no USA member represented on the committee and 2) why a student representative is on the committee. On point one, the issue had not arisen last year since the scope of the committee was narrow and not all committees have USA representative. Student representation emerged as a result of consultation with faculty groups and the notice that the Senate and Twin Cities Assembly Committee on Faculty Affairs had student members. The committee also reviewed the definition and mode of selection of the not-tenured faculty member. The committee concluded that all faculty should vote for this individual who would come from the non-tenured ranks. Ahern said he would clarify the changes on the proposal with the Chancellor. Also, he will present the UMM Faculty Affairs Committee Proposal at the Campus Assembly Meeting on November 23.

Evaluation of Fall Faculty Retreat
Members were mailed the Fall Faculty Retreat Evaluations for review before today's' meeting. Members discussed the evaluations. Ahern said we received positive feedback and a desire for follow-up. Because of the Fall Retreat, Kuechle said a discussion group formed. Other comments included more time in circle groups, larger print on nametags. Other suggestions included ways in which to integrate the knowledge learned at the retreat, i.e.

  • maybe have group discussion by Divisions at the retreat
  • at each Fall Retreat, identify some action items (open ended/vague), specify 2-3 items that we want to happen during the year.

Ahern said because of the Fall Faculty Retreat 2003, Advising Seminars would be offered this year. Solvie noted it was helpful to have articles to read before the retreat. Members discussed the planning of the Fall Faculty Retreat. Ahern noted normally the working group is identified by February, but this year it was not identified until May. He said this working group includes other faculty/staff that connect with the focus of the retreat, but it may overlap with some members of the FDC. Other items discussed in regards to the Retreat included variety of foods, scheduling recreation time, structure of recreation/entertainment, etc.

Faculty Center Director Search
At a previous meeting, Ahern reported an announcement for the FCLT Director was expected in November. Ahern reported the person has declined the position. He said the FDC would need to look at this collectively at a meeting, and discuss what the difficulties may be causing the delay in filling this position. Members discussed the position, and possible difficulties. One member suggested Schwaller should meet with the committee to discuss the position. Ahern will contact Schwaller, indicating that the FDC want a FCLT Director, and that we should move forward on this.

The FDC will meet on Thursday, November 18, at 1:00 PM .

Meeting adjourned at 3:00 PM .

Submitted by:
Linda Pederson