University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Faculty Center > Development Committee > 06-07 Minutes > 12/13/06

FACULTY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

Minutes of December 13, 2006
1:00 P.M. Faculty Center
East Annex

 

Present: Cyrus Bina (Chair), Edith Borchardt, Carol Marxen, and Engin Sungur (Ex-Officio)
Absent: Jacob Croonenberghs

Bina called the meeting to order at 1:07 PM.

Approval of FDC Minutes 11/15/06
Bina asked for any corrections, revisions, and/or approval of the FDC minutes, dated 11/15/06. Motion (Marxen/Borchardt) to approve the minutes; motion was carried. Borchardt will submit (for the record) a document pertaining to the concerns/discussion of 'Teaching of Strategic Languages' to be appended to these minutes.

FDC Schedule - Spring Semester
Members discussed FDC meeting times for spring semester. Pederson will e-mail committee members for spring semester schedules; she informed the Committee that Jong Min-Kim would serve on the FDC during spring.

Fall Faculty Retreat 2007
Sungur pointed out that Pederson contacted Arrowwood in order to book the date for the Fall Faculty Retreat. He said Arrowwood could accommodate the workshop Monday, August 20 (full day), and Tuesday, August 21 (half-day). He indicated appropriate topics for this retreat would be selected during spring semester. Motion: (Borchardt/Marxen) the Fall Faculty Retreat will meet full day, Monday, August 20, and half day on Tuesday, August 21 at the Arrowwood Resort. Motion carried unanimously.

Faculty Research Support
Sungur reported on support for faculty research, informing that the FCLT is setting up new opportunities for faculty research, including:

  1. Working Papers
  2. Recognition of Faculty Research - announcement of published articles/books, etc. the FCLT is planning to create a 'Scholarly Work' website, which would list name, publication abstract, and, given author's permission, the entire article on the website.

Bina indicated his full support for the website and suggested to add other suitable links to it. Sungur pointed out that a link could be added to direct e-mails to the author with possible inquiries. Marxen liked the idea and asked the timetable. Sungur replied, the project would begin, via e-mail notification by the Dean, with articles published during the past two years--with the permission of the author. Sungur will e-mail all faculty members to inform them of this opportunity and solicit their participation.

Other discussion included:

  • Special Event - having one event for recognition of all scholarly work;
  • Treating all awards side by side and celebrating teaching and research equally;
  • Evaluating teaching, research, and service along similar procedures;
  • Evaluation of Faculty for tenure and promotion in respect to teaching, research, and service externally;
  • Mentorship of new faculty;

Given the time constraints, Bina suggested to table the discussion on these topics, and urge the Committee to continue discussing them during spring semester.

Old Business

New Business
Bina reported that Tom Mahoney contacted him a few weeks ago concerning nominating faculty for prestigious awards, and asked if a group of faculty could be assembled for this purpose. He said that he requested Mahoney to send him a brief paragraph about the specifics, but as of yet had not received it. Bina will forward information when he receives it to Pederson for distribution

Bina informed the committee that he is invited to meet, along with other committee chairs, the faculty representatives from Twin-Cities Campus on Friday at the LaFave house. They will discuss the strategic positioning and possible reflection on the part of faculty on this campus. Bina asked the FDC for input; members suggested the following:

  • Report, aspiration of the FDC;
  • New directions, faculty need to be trained, informed, and have enough institutional support;
  • Need for adequate funding;
  • Working papers;
  • Similar procedures for research/teaching/service evaluation;
  • Articulate criteria for full-professorship.

Meeting adjourned at 2:00 P.M.

Submitted by:
Linda Pederson