Students must complete 60 credits before admission to the program.
For admission to the major’s two-year course sequence that begins each fall, students must follow the application procedure. Information sessions are held periodically to provide an overview of admissions and program requirements.
Students transferring from other schools must be admitted to UMM before admission to the elementary major can be offered. Transfer students should seek academic planning advice from the elementary education faculty in advance of application to the program.
- Completion of the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLE): Basic Skills.
- Minimum GPA of 2.50 overall with 2.75 minimum GPA in ElEd major and licensure area(s). No grade below C- will be accepted in these courses.
- Approximately 60 credits completed by the end of the sophomore year.
- Approval of the faculty based on an interview, recommendations, assessment of prior experience (especially with children and other cultures), and progress toward degree.
- Admission to UMM.
For information about University of Minnesota admission requirements, visit the Office of Admissions Web site.
Courses Required for Admission
- ED 2121 - Introduction to Education, SS (3.0 cr)
- ED 2111 - Tutor-Aide Practicum (1.0 cr)
- ED 2131 - Foundations of Reading, HUM (2.0 cr)
Take the following course or course pair. PSY 1051 is a prerequisite.
- PSY 1061 - Introduction to the Development of the Child and Adolescent, SS (4.0 cr)
- or PSY 3401 - Developmental Psychology I: Child Psychology, SS (4.0 cr)
- PSY 3402 - Developmental Psychology II: Adolescence, SS (2.0 cr)