For admission to the major’s two-year course sequence that begins each fall, students must follow the application procedure. Information sessions are held periodically to provide an overview of admissions and program requirements.
Students transferring from other schools must be admitted to UMM before admission to the elementary major can be offered. Transfer students should seek academic planning advice from the elementary education faculty in advance of application to the program.
- a.) Minimum GPA of 2.5 overall, 2.75 in licensure area(s), and 2.75 in Education courses. No grade below C- will be accepted in these courses.
- b.) Approximately 60 semester credits completed by the end of sophomore year.
- c.) Your APAS must be coded as Elementary Education Major.
- d.) Satisfactory completion of ED 2121 Introduction to Education; ED 2111 Tutor-Aide Practicum; ED 2131 Foundations of Reading; PSY 1061 Introduction to the Development of the Child and Adolescent or Ed 2601 Development, Learning, and Teaching with a grade of C- or higher before starting Education classes. No S/N courses in license areas unless it is only offered S/N.
- e.) Completion of Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLE) in basic skills. These are state required tests. You must complete these tests before starting Elementary Education coursework. They must be passed before you can student teach. To register and find more information on MTLE go to www.mtle.nesinc.com. Please contact the UMM counseling office or Liz Fladhammer for current information.