There are a number of scholarships available to music students, intended to help cover some of the cost of their instruction. Please note the eligibility requirements of each scholarship. For current application deadlines and award amounts, please contact the music discipline. In general, most applications are due in early April.
- Clyde Johnson Music Scholarship
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarships honor Clyde Johnson, professor emeritus of music, who served UMM from 1961 until 1999. The scholarships are awarded to talented University of Minnesota, Morris music majors to completely cover the fees for one year of weekly private, individual music lessons in the student’s major performance area (instrumental or voice).
The University of Minnesota, Morris will be hosting a Music Scholarship Day in February for students planning to enter college as music majors. During the event, students will have an on-campus audition with music faculty. Awards will be given based on the music faculty’s evaluation of a student’s audition as well as a brief discussion of musical background and goals. This scholarship is awarded by the Music Discipline.
The Office of Admissions will be in contact about the event with admitted students who have listed themselves as music majors. If you are interested in applying for the scholarship but unable to attend the event, please contact the Office of Admissions by April 1.
- The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing (any year)
- Demonstrated financial need
- Participation in performance activities, leadership roles, and satisfactory progress toward academic success.
- The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing at the 3rd or 4th year level, will be attending UMM the following year;
- Academic achievement, including but not limited to a high GPA, participation in UROP or URS, and/or other presentations
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition.
- The Hansen Memorial Scholarship
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to two students according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing;
- Outstanding academic performance in music courses required for the Music Major;/li>
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition;
- Overall academic excellence.
Students who wish to apply for these scholarships should submit the following materials to the Music Discipline Coordinator:
- A letter of application addressing the studentâ€™s performance activity and ability, academic merit, and leadership or other contributions to the discipline;
- A copy of the studentâ€™s most recent APAS report
These awards will be distributed in 2 equal parts over the two semesters of the following year as part of the recipientâ€™s financial aid package.
If you are interested in any of these scholarships, please write your letter of application and put together the materials by Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 6:00pm.