Requirements for the Music Minor
Below you will find a list of the courses required for a Music Minor. As this is intended as a secondary course of instruction (to complement your major), there is no suggested schedule for when to take your courses. Course codes and units are listed. To see brief descriptions of the courses, see below in the Music Curriculum section.
All Music Majors and Minors must take their required music courses with the A-F grading option, with the exception of Music 0100 (Concert Attendance).
- Students must earn a C or bettering order to meet Major/Minor requirements. Courses where a student has earned a D or F will not count towards Major or Minor requirements.
- The grade of Incomplete (I) in a music course must be made up within the first two weeks of the following semester. Failure to do so will result in a grade of F or N.
- Music 1000 (.5) (Must enroll four times)
- Music 1101 (4)
- Music 1102 (4)
- Two of the following three courses: Music 3101 (4), Music 3102 (4), Music 3161(4).
- Music 1200-1223 (4 units, 1 unit per semester enrolled)
- Non-pianists: Music 1200 (4 units, 1 unit per semester enrolled)
Remember that some courses have pre-requisites.
- Music 1101 (Fall) should be taken before Music 1102 (Spring).
- Music 1102 (Spring) must be taken before Music 3101 (Fall).
- Music 3101 (Fall) must be taken before Music 3102 (Spring).
Some courses are offered in alternate years. Plan carefully to make sure you are taking the course when it is offered.
- Music 3101 is offered in the fall of odd-numbered years.
- Music 3102 is offered in the spring of even-numbered years.
Some courses require multiple iterations.
- Music 0100 must be taken four times.
- Music 1200-1223 must be taken four times.
- Students whose main performance medium is not piano are required to take four semesters of piano lessons, Music 1200.
- For more information on piano proficiency, please see Individual Performance Studies and Performance Assessment. (IndividualPerfInfo.doc)