Preparing for Nursing School
A career in nursing requires strength in several areas of study. Completing the necessary coursework at a strong liberal arts campus will prepare you to enter a nursing program at the institution of your choosing. Morris students frequently choose the University of Minnesota campuses in Rochester or the Twin Cities, completing their clinical work at the renowned University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview or at the internationally acclaimed Mayo Clinic. The best path for Morris students to choose is:
Post-Baccalaureate/Masters of Nursing Program
These accelerated programs allow students to become nurses in as little as sixteen months following the completion of an undergraduate degree. Admission is extremely competitive.
- You must have your B.A. in hand to apply.
- The required GPA is generally 3.5 or higher.
- Recommended majors include biology or psychology.
- Work experience is recommended prior to applying.
- Many applicants are certified nursing assistants (CNAs). Many Morris students have worked as CNAs for the Stevens Community Medical Center or West Wind Village.
Consult with your adviser about the best way to complete the recommended coursework.
Nursing program admissions staff want to be sure that applicants have a genuine understanding of the nursing profession and dedication to the field. Consider contacting the Office of Community Engagement to learn about service opportunities in healthcare settings.