Preparing for Veterinary Medicine
Did you know...
- There are only 28 veterinary schools in the U.S.
- There is only one veterinary school in Minnesota—the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Only 10 percent of applicants are accepted each year—most with a GPA of 3.5 or higher—to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. Morris has a great placement rate. Students hoping to pursue a career in veterinary medicine should take advantage of the many exceptional opportunities the Morris campus has to offer. Here are some helpful hints for a successful path to a veterinary medicine career.
- Consult with your adviser about the best way to complete the recommended coursework.
- Seek veterinary experience during your undergraduate career at Morris. Veterinary college admissions staff want to be sure that applicants have a genuine understanding of the veterinary profession and dedication to the field. Consider contacting the Office of Community Engagement to inquire about applicable service opportunities in farm, clinic, park, or zoo settings.
- Take advantage of our nationally recognized study abroad program. A study abroad experience will help prepare you for international service trips common in healthcare professions.
- Participate in undergraduate research. A demonstrated ability to excel in mathematics or science can give veterinary school applicants a competitive edge. Morris offers multiple stipend programs for students who want to conduct undergraduate research.
- Consider the VetFAST path.