The top 5 things to consider when planning a major in Geology
- Take Math and Chemistry as soon as possible! Take the math before you forget what you learned in High School and take chemistry because it is needed for your second year courses (Mineralogy and Petrology).
- Introduce yourself to a geology faculty member right away and inform them of your plans.
- Once you have taken Physical Geology, immediately take the Mineralogy/Petrology sequence (a full year).Do not put it off!
- Sedimentology is the only required course for the major that is offered every other year. Take it as soon as possible; even the same semester as mineralogy.
- Begin planning early to take advantage of Research, Study Abroad, and the National Student Exchange opportunities!