Wondering what LinkedIn is?
LinkedIn connects you to your trusted contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with a broader network of professionals. Review the information below to learn how to set up your LinkedIn profile and fully utilize LinkedIn for networking and your job and/or internship search.
- Learn more about LinkedIn »
- LinkedIn for Students: Your Career Starts Here »
- LinkedIn for Students: Top Five Profile To-Do's »
How to use LinkedIn
- Create a LinkedIn profile
- Upload a professional appropriate photo.
- Create a smart headline & summary.
- Add strong recommendations.
- Add your LinkedIn URL to your email signature line.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Search terms that sound interesting on LinkedIn’s advanced search. (For example: sport management, human resources, social services, etc.)
- Join groups related to any career interest you are considering.
- Explore company pages.
What if you don’t know any “real” professionals?
- Add connections on LinkedIn.
- Connect with family & friends.
- Reach out to alumni & industry members.
- Build and maintain new connections.
- Join LinkedIn Groups such as the University of Minnesota, Morris (UMM) Alumni Group.
Can networking really help you get a job?
- Reach out to your professional network.
- Send a friendly message to your contacts on LinkedIn letting them know the type of opportunity you are most interested in.
- Connect to LinkedIn job postings.
How can you sound like you know what you’re talking about?
- Prepare for your interview using LinkedIn.
- Find general company & employee information.
- Review the profiles of the individuals who will be interviewing you.
- Profile Checklist: College Students
- How to Build a Great Student LinkedIn Profile
- Finding a Job or Internship
- Networking on LinkedIn
- Tailoring Your Profile to Your Goals
- Communicating on LinkedIn
- Building Your Personal Professional Brand
- Using the Alumni Tool to Explore Career Paths
- Conducting Employer Research on LinkedIn
- How to Find Your Career Passion
- Q&A- LinkedIn Etiquette
- Top 10 Online Job Hunting Tips
- Top 5 Profile Tips