Assessment
of Student Learning

 

 

DATE:
December 10, 2004
SUBJECT

Assessment of Student Learning Committee Minutes

PRESENT:

Katherine Benson (Chair), Janet Schrunk Ericksen, Dwight Purdy, Michael O'Reilly and Nancy Helsper

ABSENT:

Paul Myers, Donna Chollett, James Hall, Jessica Meinenger and Erin Christenson


Benson called the meeting to order at 8:37 AM in the Prairie Lounge.

Approval of Minutes
Benson asked for discussion or approval of the ASL Minutes dated 04/16/04 .
Motion: (Helsper/Purdy) to approve the minutes; the minutes were unanimously approved.

The ASL Minutes 11/22/04 will be available for review and approval at the next meeting.

GenEd Subcommittee Report (Helsper)
Helsper said that no change in the GenEd survey for spring 2005 is recommended. Helsper made the following suggestions if the Foreign Language means stay low:

Helsper said the Subcommittee would continue to meet in spring semester to determine a recommendation on scheduling the survey (every other year) and reducing the survey to 20 questions each year.

Helsper said the GenEd 2004 Survey results are complete; and asked for approval from the committee to link the results to the Assessment Committee Web site.

Helsper said the full GenEd survey is scheduled for this year; the exact date has not been set. Helsper said the GenEd survey was offered last year, March 15-April 2; 359 survey invitations were sent and received 164 responses. This was a 45.7% response rate. Benson said the GenEd survey should be scheduled in February as it has been in the past. Because the survey was done in March and no incentive was offered, the response rate was low. Members discussed whether to make the GenEd Survey mandatory or seek funds to offer an incentive to complete the survey.

New Course Form and Form B (Helsper)
Helsper distributed copies of the Curriculum Committee Form B: Discipline Objectives and Requirements and Assessment Statements on Form B (Major/Minor Requirements) for discussion. One suggestion was to have FYS make GenEd a theme for the year. The committee discussed the best way to approach this, as it would take planning a year in advance with the Convocation Committee. Benson said we can suggest the idea but the details would be worked out in the Curriculum Committee. Benson agreed to draft a memo to the Curriculum Committee.

Helsper discussed the Curriculum Form B; noting the question on Assessment is confusing people. Helsper said the sample assessment statements attached have nothing to do with assessment. She noted the Curriculum Committee is looking at changing the instructions, and said that they will not look at or approve courses submitted without this information. Helsper asked if the ASL committee had suggestions to the curriculum committee on how we want this on the form, adding that we need goals for every course, but not every course needs to be assessed. It was recommended to drop assessment for the individual course, but assessment would remain for the Major. Benson agreed to write a memo with the following recommendations.

Motion: (Purdy/O'Reilly) To recommend to the CC to drop the item “Assessment and Goals (Morris courses only):” from the ECAS Course Proposal Form. Motion carried.

Motion: (Purdy/O'Reilly) To recommend to the CC to change “III. Assessment” on the Curriculum Committee Form B to read “III. How do changes in the major affect the assessment plans?” Motion carried.

Spring ASL Meeting Schedule
Members reviewed the spring semester schedules; not all have been received. Of the schedules received, it was determined that the best meeting time would be Monday and Wednesday afternoons between 2:00 and 5:00 PM . An e-mail will be sent to committee members with this time, and request a reply with their availability between 2:00 and 5:00 pm on these days.

Meeting adjourned at 9:28 AM .

Submitted by:
Linda Pederson

 

 

URL: http://www.morris.umn.edu/committees/asl/minutes.12.10.04.html