||December 5, 1996
||Minutes of the Third Meeting of the Task Force on
Assessment of Students' Learning
||Bert Ahern, Eric Bass, Eric Bauer, Jim
Cotter, Edith Borchardt, Nat Hart, Tom Johnson, Carol
Marxen, Nancy Mooney, Dean Sam Schuman, Engin Sungur
The Task Force on Assessment of Students' Learning met on December 5,
1996, and covered the following items:
- The minutes of the November 26, 1996 have been approved.
- The Planning Exercise and Survey has been discussed and the following
reactions/suggestions had been brought forward:
- The definition of 'unit' should be given in the cover memo.
- Too many goals are suggested for the Exercise & Survey.
- The form is overwhelmingly long. A simpler form could work
better. We can simply ask mission, objectives, outcomes, and methods.
- The question on 'validity and reliability of assessment
measure(s) and instrument(s)' could be confusing.
- The above question could be replaced with 'How comfortable are
you with the reliability and validity with the suggested assessment
measure(s) and instrument(s)'
- Cover memo should clearly point out that units need not to
answer all the questions.
- A sample of units can be taken for the Planning Exercise and Survey.
- One of the Committee members could meet with the units and go
through the form with the unit and answer questions.
- The Planning Exercise and Survey can be strip down to a
manageable size. For example the questions on 'relevance' and
'reliability' can be eliminated
- A one page example could be included with the Exercise & Survey.
- Questions can be designed as open-ended.
- The examples taken from the outside of UMM might lead us in a
- Guidelines, examples of applicable instruments, and an example
of mission, objectives, outcomes, and instruments can be attached
to the Exercise and Survey.
- A combination of 'attachments' and 'short form' might produce a
- Meeting with the units when they prepare their responses might
imply the task force is telling them what to do.
- The target units for the Planning Exercise & Survey will be all
disciplines and programs which offer a major and/or minor, related
committees and programs.
- The cover memo, Planning Exercise & Survey will be modified by
considering the input that has been received from the Task Force. It will
ask disciplines to actually complete the segment of the questionnaire on
mission/goals; student learning: objectives/expected outcomes. The
remainder of the questionnaire will go to faculty early in winter quarter.
- The deadline for the Exercise and Survey will be January 17, 1996.
- The Task Force will work on the details of the draft time table at its
- The Task Force will look at the current campus assessment practices at
its next meeting.
- The next meeting of the Task Force will take place during the first
week of the Winter quarter.