University of Minnesota, Morris

Campus Assembly Minutes

 

October 4, 2006

 

 

The Campus Assembly met on Wednesday, October 4 at 4:30 p.m. in the Science Auditorium. 

 

 

I.               Chancellor's Remarks.

 

Chancellor Jacqueline Johnson commented on the following:

 

Dean’s Search – She is in the process of asking prospective search committee members to serve and hopes to make an announcement to the campus community soon.  We are on track for the search to bring in candidates by February with duties commencing on July 1.  Judy Kuechle and Gwen Rudney have both agreed to continue in their interim roles.

 

Position requests/reviews – She has put a process into place of review for all replacement/new position requests involving several administrative/advisory groups—division chairs and vice chancellors.  This process basically involves “making the case” rather than expecting or taking for granted that a position will be filled simply because it is or will be vacant.   This process is driven by necessity and common sense.  On the academic side, division chairs submit requests to Judy Kuechle who then works with Gary Strei to ensure that we have accurate accounting of dollars for those positions.  On the non-academic side, position requests come to the vice chancellor group for consultation.

 

Program review – We are taking a systematic campus-wide look at what we’re doing and how, using a common template or outline using existing institutional data and for comparisons, using agreed upon data, e.g., COPLAC schools and IPEDS.  The review will be conducted in line with our mission and how programs help us accomplish it given where we are in the planning process and in line with strategic planning initiatives and priorities.  The are four reasons for doing this:  1) it is good practice in higher education; 2) the strategic planning and implementation causes us to take a look at what we’re doing, how we’re doing and requires us to provide resources in line with initiatives and priorities; 3) we will have Higher Learning Commission visit in 2009 and are mandated to review our programs on a regular and ongoing way; and 4) the budget situation we currently face needs to be effective and efficient.  The reviews will be conducted locally following a common template/outline that will be submitted to relevant individuals for summary and recommendations.  She will then summarize, review and present a preliminary plan to campus after going through governance and advisory groups in December.  There is some potential for reorganization and realignment of positions and resources with effectiveness and efficiency as the primary drivers.

 

Campus community – Last week there were several unacceptable incidents of racial bias in one of our residence halls.  A series of derogatory comments were written in several locations.  Immediate action was taken in relation to these messages:  appropriate security measures have been put in place; our bias response team was activated immediately; campus police have been and continue to be involved in investigating the incidents and we are determined to discover who are the perpetrator(s).  We realize there is some frustration that not enough specifics have been communicated with the campus but we are trying to balance that desire with the equally important desire of those who have been affected by these incidents to avoid further unwanted attention and disruption in their lives and by a desire to not compromise the investigation.  First and foremost is the safety and wellbeing of our students—especially those targeted in this case.  She is grateful to various members of our staff who have literally worked around the clock to get to the bottom of this.  If anyone has information about this case, please report it immediately to campus police.

 

II.             For Information.  History of the Campus Assembly.

 

Paula O’Loughlin explained that UMM has a distinct governance system and this document helps new people understand how we work.  Suggestions/corrections may be sent to Roland Guyotte.

 

III.           Minutes from 5/3/06 assembly meeting were approved as presented.

 

IV.          Election – Brad Deane replaces Gretchen Murphy on the Consultative Committee.

 

V.            From the Curriculum Committee.   The following course was approved as presented.

 

Continuing Education

1 new course

Ed 1020 CE:  English in the American University

 

VI.          From the Executive Committee.  The following committee replacements were approved as presented. 

 

Corey Phelps replaces Randi Peterson on Student Services Committee

Siobhan Bremer replaces Hope Koehler on Functions & Awards Committee

Ted Pappenfus replaces Min Zhou on Multi-Ethnic Experience Committee

Sarah Mattson replaces Roger Wareham on Campus Resources & Planning Committee

Mary Elizabeth Bezanson replaces Tracy Otten on Curriculum Committee – fall semester only

 

VII.        For Information.  Presentation from the CRPC/Strategic Positioning Task Force.

 

Andy Lopez, chair of the CRPC/Strategic Positioning Task Force, along with members of the subcommittee presented a PowerPoint on Strategic Positioning at UMM.   Members of the subcommittee include:  Lopez, Bryan Herrmann, Pareena Lawrence, Dan Moore, and Sharon VanEps.   He encouraged feedback from the campus community and also encouraged everyone to attend the campus open forum on October 9 at 4:30 p.m., hosted by the Executive Committee.

 

VIII.      For Information.  Recommended Campus Process for Responding to Disruptive Student Conduct.

 

Chancellor Johnson reported that this document came to the Executive Committee after receiving approval from the Student Services Committee and the Scholastic Committee.  There was much debate within the Executive Committee whether this should come to the assembly for information or for action.  It was decided that the EC would present as information and let the Assembly decide if they want this as an action item. 

 

Sarah Buchanan expressed concern about the fact that if there is a behavior problem, the student must go to Counseling, then the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Life, then the Student Behavior Committee.  All of those steps are the same person.  Bert Ahern asked if the document had gone through the University’s General Counsel’s office.  Andy Lopez asked if there was a plan to education people on this procedure.  Sandy Olson-Loy said faculty could include it in their syllabi and it could be placed in the student handbook and also available on the web.  Michael Korth believes it adds complexity to what faculty are expected to do and wondered what will happen if faculty choose not the follow the exact procedure.  Is this required or recommended?  Paula O’Loughlin believes this is a recommendation and thought it would be helpful to hear from faculty who have encountered such a situation.  Kristin Strissel wondered who defines what these things are—threatening, violent, aggressive—where is the interpretive piece?  Argie Manolis stated that she has witnessed disruptive behavior and even though it sounds strange; you will recognize the behavior as disruptive when you see it.  She believes this procedure would be very helpful and without a policy in place, it actually becomes more complicated.  Greg Thorson stated that as a parliamentarian, he has spent a lot of time thinking about the for information vs. for action and added that this recommended policy gets right at the heart of what goes on in the classroom.  He believes the Scholastic Committee exceeded their authority.  The Campus Assembly has the authority to decide on issues related to classroom activity and believes this should not be an optional recommended process.  The Assembly should make that decision.  Paula O’Loughlin asked if Thorson was making a motion or making a statement as Parliamentarian.  Thorson stated as a member of Campus Assembly.  Chancellor Johnson said the Executive Committee had this same kind of conversation.  If it is the will of the Assembly, someone can make a motion to bring it back for action under New Business.

 

A motion made to extend meeting by 15 minutes.  So moved.

 

IX.           For Information.  Submission of NCA Report.

 

Jim Togeas, chair of the Assessment of Student Learning Committee, gave a brief update the information needed to produce an NCA report by November 1, 2007.  Our goal will be:  1) to collect a course assessment from at least one course in every major; 2) to collect a course assessment from at least one course in every general education category; and 3) to collect general education learning objectives.  The plan has a short-range goal of gathering enough measurements for the November 2007 report to the NCA.  It will focus on course-embedded assessments that can be done in a semester and offers the simple example in the appendix as a model for what can be incorporated into a course with minimal effort.  The suggested schedule follows:  Fall 2006 – the ASLC finalizes a plan early in the semester and decides how the data should be collected; Spring 2007 – evaluate the data and act to fill holes in our data set; Summer 2007 – someone drafts report; Fall 2007 – complete and polish draft.  Mail report by October 2007.

 

X.             Senators' Reports.

 

Dan Moore reported that there has been one All-University senate meeting this semester.  One of the agenda items was the policy and protocol on the evaluation of instruction.  The Senate Consultative Committee will be meeting soon to review student conduct.

 

XI.           Old Business.

 

None.

 

XII.         New Business.

 

Greg Thorson made a motion to direct the Executive Committee to include on a future agenda the “Recommended Campus Process for Responding to Disruptive Student Conduct” as an action item.  Second by Mary Elizabeth Bezanson.   The question was called.  A voice vote was to close to count.  The motion passed by show of hands:  51 in favor, 22 opposed.

 

Adjourned at 6:20 p.m.