University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Committees > Faculty Affairs > Minutes > 9-2-08

Faculty Affairs Committee Minutes (9-2-08)

Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee

2 September 2008, 9:00am, Sci 2555

 

Present: Tom Mahoney, Argie Manolis, Eli Mayfield, Pam Solvie, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff

Absent: Leslie Meek

 

I. Selection of Chair/ other logistics

A. Wyckoff agreed to be chair of this committee for the 2008-09 academic year. She will take minutes but would like someone else to be in charge of posting them to the web. She will contact Paula O'Loughlin (Executive Committee) about the possibility of having a staff member do so as is done for some other committees.

B. We decided to meet every other Tuesday at 9:00am to accommodate Wojtaszek's SCFA schedule. We will meet on 9 September next.

C. We decided to invite Dean Contant to at least two of our meetings each semester. Wyckoff will arrange these.

 

II. Business from last year

A. “backfill document”: Last year, the FAC along with the Commission on Women, sent Interim Dean Guyotte a memo asking that a policy be enacted to protect people who fill in for colleagues on medical leaves. Wyckoff will contact Sara Haugen and most likely send this memo again, this time to Dean Contant.

B. the “hiring chart”: Members from last year brought new members up to speed on some of the frustration caused to individuals, disciplines and Division Chairs by the lack of appropriate appointments for many non-tenure track hires. We decided that this would be a good first topic of discussion when Dean Contant visits.

C. faculty/staff picnic: Last year, Management/Economics asked us to endorse the idea of bringing back a faculty/staff picnic each fall. We decided to drop this issue for now. Wyckoff will let Arne Kildegaard know of this decision and we will mention it to Dean Contant when she visits.

 

III. Issues for this year

The rest of the meeting was spent briefly outlining issues for this committee to address in the coming year. We plan to prioritize these at the next meeting.

A. single-semester leaves for all tenure-track faculty: When this came up at the Fall Faculty Retreat, we learned that the all-University FCC has been discussing this. We have been asked by Nancy Carpenter (FCC) to write a memo to Dean Contant in favor of this policy. We decided the memo might also address implications that this policy might have on disciplines. Wyckoff will draft this memo.

B. parental leaves: This is a big one and will get more discussion at a later meeting.

C. faculty salaries: While we think this is an important issue, we are waiting for either the Dean or Executive Committee (or another committee?) to charge us with this issue and let us know what type of report would be most useful to the campus. We discussed requesting/recommending additional staff assistance for this task.

D. travel funds: We've been asked to look into whether travel funds might be used for non-conference travel.

E. non-tenure track faculty: There are many issues unique to this group of faculty on our campus. Argie plans to hold a meeting of her constituents and bring us a prioritized list.

F. phased retirement: We have been asked to look into issues surrounding the effects of phased retirement on disciplines. We think that this topic might be connected to the “backfill” issue and that we might deal with it if we are asked to draft a backfill policy.

G. topics from the Fall Faculty Retreat: In a break-out session at the Fall Faculty Retreat on Faculty Support, several issues were raised: makeup of search committees (and the effect on faculty/staff/students of color), work study positions (wages and competition with other means of support such as MMP, MAP, outside grants etc.), SE&E priorities (office supplies?). We will discuss the first two at later meetings, but declined to discuss the last one on the grounds that it is an issue for Divisions to discuss internally. Overall SE&E allocation is an issue for the Division Chairs and the Dean.

H. Division Chairs and discipline coordinators: We have been asked to discuss several issues concerning these positions, including job descriptions and terms.

 

Adjourned at 10:00am

Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 7 September 2008