University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Committees > Faculty Affairs > Minutes > 9-9-08

Faculty Affairs Committee Minutes (9-9-08)

Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee

9 September 2008, 9:00am, Sci 2555

 

Present: Argie Manolis, Eli Mayfield, Leslie Meek, Pam Solvie, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff

Absent: Tom Mahoney

 

I. Items from last week

A. Sara Haugen, chair of Commission on Women, sent the “backfill” document to Dean Contant.

B. Wyckoff has not sent a memo to Dean Contant about Single-Semester Leaves. She will do so in the coming week.

 

II. Planning of agenda for meeting with Dean Contant, 23 September 2008

A. We will discuss the history of the “backfill” document and ask what the next step should be. We will offer to draft a policy.

B. We will bring Dean Contant up to speed on the issue surrounding the “hiring chart” from last year.

C. We will mention the request from Econ/Management for a faculty/staff picnic.

D. We will discuss the single-semester leave policy.

 

III. Prioritizing issues for this fall

A. travel funds:

1. use of travel funds for research travel (not conferences): Wojtaszek will collect information about the current policy. We may then draft an alternate policy and ask for comment from our constituencies. We discussed the possibility that we might get better response if we each ask for comment from a smaller group of people, as opposed to sending a FACPA from the committee.

2. use of travel funds for recruitment (e.g. MLA): Wojtaszek will contact the chair of the Humanities Advisory Council and ask about the status of a memo that FAC endorsed last year. The memo suggested that funding for search committee members traveling to conferences for recruitment NOT come out of the OST funds.

B. Division Chairs and discipline coordinators: We decided to invite the Division Chairs to talk to our committee about two issues: 1) the effects of the 10-month appointment for Division Chairs, and 2) the duties, expectations, work loads and terms for discipline coordinators and questions about consistency across campus. Wyckoff will arrange this meeting.

C. phased retirement: Solvie will gather information about the current policy with respect to individual confidentiality and involvement of disciplines.

D. non-tenure track faculty: Manolis will meet with non-tenure track faculty to discuss and prioritize issues affecting that constituency.  We will then address those issues later in the semester.

 

IV. Issues for the spring

A. parental leaves – This is a big issue. We will tackle some more manageable tasks first.

B. faculty salaries – We are waiting for direction from Executive Committee/ Chancellor/ Dean.

C. issues from Fall Faculty Retreat – Issues surrounding search committee make-up and work-study issues will not affect things for this academic year so we will discuss them in the spring.

 

Adjourned at 9:45am

Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 12 September 2008