Faculty Affairs Committee Minutes (3-26-09)
Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee
26 March 2009, 4:00pm, Sci 2555
Present: Rebecca Dean, Eli Mayfield, Pam Solvie, Timna Wyckoff, James Wojtaszek
Absent: Fang Du, Argie Manolis
Guest: LeAnn Dean
The minutes from 12 February 2009 and 12 March 2009 were approved via email during the preceding week.
II. guest: LeAnn Dean
We asked Dean to join us this week to discuss the new ILL policy by which items are received electronically as default. Wojtaszek had raised concern about the fact that this shifts printing costs to disciplines. Dean explained the various issues taken into consideration when making the decision to change the article delivery method (see handout below). We discussed the pros and cons of several of these considerations and in the end were satisfied that the current policy is appropriate.
III. old business
Spousal/partner hiring: Wojtaszek has emailed us all the responses he received to our email requesting input about spousal/partner hiring at UMM. We agreed to meet on 2 April to start pulling together themes for our discussing with Dean Contant later in April.
IV. new business
Several faculty members have expressed concern about the new Student Release Questions on the new Student Rating of Teaching forms (previously SOTs). The default is that the responses are not released unless faculty members grant permission, but there is concern that junior faculty members especially may feel pressure to release responses for their courses and concern about how these responses will be used by various constituencies on campus. There were several different opinions expressed by members of our committee regarding this issue and we agreed that this topic warranted discussion in a larger venue, specifically Campus Assembly. Wyckoff will ask Executive Committee to put this topic on the agenda of a future meeting. Wyckoff will stress that the discussion should include some history from our representatives to the all-University committees that developed and approved the new SRT forms and should focus at this point only on the “release questions” and not expand into a general discussion of the SRTs.
Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 16 April 2009
Handout from LeAnn Dean 26 March 2009:
Faculty Affairs Committee
Rodney A. Briggs Library
Interlibrary Loan Document Delivery Format Discussion
March 26, 2009
Considerations in electronic article delivery method
- Service Issues
- Turn-around time decreased
- Digital format enables reading without printing, storing without printing, evaluating before printing, forwarding to research partners, personal organization of research.
- Faculty and students away from campus (study abroad, sabbaticals, summer, etc.) can still receive research support.
- Financial Issues
- Library's SE&E budget has not increased for over ten years
- ILL costs have increased significantly, as we need to go beyond Minitex area more often. Most non-Minitex libraries charge and these charges have increased. The cost of transmitting requests has increased due both to an increase in the transaction rate and an increase in UMM volume.
- Costs of toner and paper have increased (issue affecting whoever does the printing)
- Library staffing issues
- Maintaining separate lists of people with different delivery requests is time-consuming and inefficient for ILL staff.
- Library student work study allocation has been constant for a number of years, but per hour wages have increased and will again this year. The result will be fewer student employee hours.
- Staff time spent printing documents, printing notices, stuffing envelopes, and filing at main desk can be reallocated to getting requests verified and transmitted more quickly and processing the “returnables” (books, CDs, DVDs, etc) that have arrived.
- ILL activity has increased significantly over the past ten years without corresponding increase in staff.
- Campus wide considerations
- UMM campus has designated electronic communication as official method of communication.
- Attention should be given to technology support inconsistencies across units/divisions
- SE&E budget constraints are a problem for all units and divisions