University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Committees > Faculty Affairs > Minutes > 5-7-09

Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee

7 May 2009, 4:00pm, Sci 2555

 

Present: Rebecca Dean, Argie Manolis, Pam Solvie, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff

Absent: Fang Du, Eli Mayfield

 

We met to wrap-up the 2008-2009 year. We discussed three topics that remain “open” at the end of the year. Wyckoff agreed to convene the committee in the fall.

 

I. pay structure for temporary, part-time faculty

 

We have had two meetings with Dean Contant about this issue. We understand that she will bring us a proposal for our endorsement at some time in the future.

 

II. spousal/partner hiring at UMM

 

Solvie reiterated her request that we make the summary of comments available in some way to all employees. Wojtaszek will send an email to UMMFACPA and UMMUSA pointing people to the minutes from our 2 April 2009 meeting, which include Dean's summary.

 

We discussed Dean Contant's suggestion that we prepare a paragraph for a brochure to be shared with candidates when they visit campus. We discussed several concerns about what would be appropriate and true to include in that paragraph. Our impression is that not very many candidates decide not to share the information that they have a spouse. Therefore, we don't know what purpose a paragraph would serve, since candidate will have a unique situation to negotiate.

 

The bottom line: We did not receive very many responses from people with strong feelings against spousal/partner hiring and we did receive many from people who advocate a more proactive policy. We shared this information with Dean Contant and with the campus community.

 

III. Student Release Questions

 

A few weeks ago, Wyckoff asked Executive Committee to put the topic of Student Release Questions on a Campus Assembly agenda for discussion. This request was denied.

 

We still feel that this topic warrants discussion in a larger forum. This is a new policy and the details of the policy have not been uniformly communicated to all faculty. Many faculty wonder how this information will be released and whether very few or very many people plan to release the information on this campus.

 

Wyckoff will contact Executive Committee and Dean Contant and ask that either the topic be put on an agenda for next fall or that Dean Contant send an email to faculty pointing people to the full policy and addressing answers to the major concerns, including whether the choice to release data or not will impact tenure decisions.

 

Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 17 June 2009