University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Committees > Faculty Affairs > Minutes > 9-10-09

Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee

10 September 2009, 4:00pm, Sci 2555

 

Present: Rebecca Dean, Pam Solvie, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff

 

We met to start the 2009-10 academic year. We are missing several members of our committee. The non-tenure track faculty need to elect a new representative, as do the P&A staff. In addition, we need a student member, and Humanities may decide to elect an additional representative, since Wojtaszek is serving as the SCFA representative from UMM this year, and is thus on this committee ex oficio in that capacity. Wyckoff has informed Executive Committee of these situations and we await news of these decisions. In the meantime, we will meet at 4pm on Thursdays. The only other time that might work for the four current members of the committee is 8am on Tuesdays.

 

We discussed potential topics for this committee to address in the coming year.

 

I. faculty diversity

A faculty member has expressed concern about the climate for international faculty on the UMM campus. Given that the Strategic Plan calls for increasing the diversity of the UMM faculty, and given that the Fall Faculty Retreat was on the topic of intercultural competence, we think that it might be appropriate for us to take up the general issue of faculty diversity (i.e. what can we do to attract and retain more faculty from underrepresented groups?). This topic has come up repeatedly since the beginning of Faculty Affairs Committee, perhaps first in within the topic of exit interviews (i.e. why do faculty leave UMM?). Solvie agreed to look through old minutes and let us know what has been discussed in the past. Wojtaszek agreed to look up whether SCFA has discussed exit interviews.

 

II. meetings with Dean Contant

We decided to once again invite Dean Contant to join us a couple times each semester. Wyckoff will contact Dean Contant and Darla Petersen and set up those meetings.

 

III. other topics

Wojtaszek reported that SCFA will be discussing the Student Release Questions and that this might relate to the questions we asked last year regarding the decision faculty have about whether to release their data from these questions or not. Wyckoff noted that the questions regarding leaves both the actual policies and the issue of how to compensate colleagues during those leaves have been on the FAC agenda every year and probably warrant our attention again.

 

Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff