University of Minnesota Morris
 

 
 

 
UMM Home > Committees > Faculty Affairs > Minutes > 04-05-10

 

Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee

5 April 2010, 9:00am, Sci 2555

 

Present: Katie Barron, Mary Elizabeth Bezanson, Rebecca Dean, Athena Kildegaard, Pam Solvie, Roger Wareham, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff

 

I. some logistics

A. Bezanson and Wojtazsek are still working on the revised minutes from 22 Feb (to replace the original set sent by Wyckoff). Wojtazsek distributed minues from 8 March, but not enough members had had a chance to look at them to move for approval. We will plan to do so at our next meeting.

B. Wyckoff and Solvie will remind their Division Chairs that elections for their positions need to take place.

C. Wyckoff has rescheduled the meeting with Dean Contant for 3 May 2010. We will meet for the last time on our own this academic year on 19 April. New members (if determined) will be invited to both of those meetings.

D. Wojtasek agreed to convene this committee in fall 2010.

 

II. updates

A. Bezanson reported that Executive Committee has tabled the topic of finding a common time during the week for committee meetings.

B. Wyckoff reported that Executive Committee would be willing to take up the idea of creating a listserv for committee minutes. Wyckoff will draft a memo and circulated it ahead of our next meeting.

C. Wojtaszek reported that he has not seen a copy of the final Academic Staffing Plan. Wyckoff will request a copy from Dean Contant before our meeting with her.

D. We will stick with our plan to spend much of our meeting with Dean Contant brainstorming better strategies for communication between faculty and administration and within the governance structure. We understand that other committees (International Programs was cited as an example) have similar frustrations.

 

III. service loads

Dean brought information about service loads among Social Science faculty. The range is very large. Wyckoff brought information about advising loads. Few faculty more than 30 official advisees. Based on this information, and previous discussions, we will make the following recommendations to Executive Committee:

1) More types of service than simply committee service should be taken into account when assigning people to campus committees (e.g. advising loads over 30 students, discipline coordinator, anticipation of chairing a search committee, all-U committee service) in order to attempt to more equally distribute service load among faculty and staff.

2) These types of service activities should not disqualify someone from serving on a campus committee if they wish.

3) These specific examples (above) should be added to the area on the committee preference form that asks for other things Executive Committee should take into consideration.

Wojtaszek agreed to draft this memo for our consideration at our next meeting.

 

IV. topics for next year

There is concern about people being appointed to important positions on campus with little consultation.

The recent timelines of staffing decisions is detrimental to the quality of applicant pools.

 

Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 15 April 2010