Meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee
3 May 2010, 9:00am, Sci 2555
Present: Katie Barron, Mary Elizabeth Bezanson, Rebecca Dean, Athena Kildegaard, Pam Solvie, Roger Wareham, James Wojtaszek, Timna Wyckoff
Guest: Cheryl Contant
We approved the 19 April minutes. Wojtaszek will post those and the 22 February minutes.
II. conversation about improving communication between faculty and administration and within the governance structure at UMM
• Contant described three categories of communication that come out of her office: 1) “for information”, 2) decisions that have been made, and 3) requests for consultation on big issues.
• An additional “what's in the works” type of communication would be really helpful. This could be done by email at least once a semester, and preferably more often.
• It needs to be more clear whose responsibility it is to get various pieces of information out to the campus. Committee minutes can be distributed and will document consultation, but final decisions still need to be announced.
• Might committee reports be more formalized at Campus Assembly? Or, might committee reports be distributed in the Weekly Bulletin? This could be on a rotating schedule (e.g. one committee a week, a couple committees each assembly meeting).
• The campus, and especially Academic Affairs, has been through an unprecedented period of change and communication has suffered, but we need to move forward.
III. Academic Staffing Plan
Contant and Wojtaszek (FAC representative to working group) reported that a draft academic staffing plan has been distributed to the working group for comment. The plan will come back to CRPC and FAC for information/discussion next fall. It will include guiding principles and some “nagging issues” that should be kept in mind as staffing decisions are made. It will include several scenarios: baseline, additions of new programs (either with modest or significant increases of resources), and reallocation of existing resources. Specific examples will be included in each scenario. This document will lay out options, but not recommend a particular direction.
IV. business for next year
Contant asked that FAC look next year at faculty salary data and make recommendations about what specific areas should be prioritized in a request for increases.
Minutes submitted by Timna Wyckoff, 17 May 2010