Effective September 2010, the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examination (MTLE) became the sole means of assessing the basic skills, pedagogical, and content-area knowledge of Minnesota teacher candidates. As of that date, all candidates for an initial license will be required to pass the MTLE basic skills tests (in reading, writing, and mathematics) as well as pedagogy and content-area tests. Additionally, in order for a University of Minnesota, Morris teacher candidate to student teach, she or he must pass all three Basic Skills exams. Click on the links below for more information (based on the MTLE website) on:
General MTLE Information
Teacher candidates seeking licensure must complete three sets of tests: the Basic Skills, the Pedagogy tests, and the Content Area exams. You must pass all Basic Skills tests to be eligible to student teach; you must pass ALL exams in order to be eligible for a Minnesota teaching license. You may retake the subtests until you obtain a passing score - which is a scale score of 240.
- The Basic Skills examination includes three subtests: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. Candidates must take and pass all three subtests to qualify for a Minnesota license. You may take one, two, or all three subtests at one test appointment. There is an initial registration fee of $50 and each Basic Skills exam costs $25.
- There are two levels for which you can take the two subtests of the Pedagogy exams: elementary (K-6), and secondary (5-12). Each subtest costs $35.
- For each license you are seeking, you must complete two Content Area subtests (you can find out more here). Each subtest costs $35.
Score reports are released approximately 21 days after testing. Please save your score report and email your score report to Liz Fladhammer They are only available for a short time, and you will need to pay to access those scores at a later date.
Test Dates and Sites
Effective September 4, 2012, computer-based tests are available by appointment, year round, Monday through Saturday (excluding holidays) at test centers across the state and nationwide.
- To register, go to the MTLE site: http://www.mtle.nesinc.com
- Enter the “Register” area and follow the directions provided. You will be asked to provide personal information. Identify the tests you want to take by adding them to the “test selection” area.
- When prompted to indicate which institution you want to receive your scores, choose University of Minnesota, Morris.
- Make certain to add University of Minnesota, Morris for where you received your educator preparation training.
- Also make certain to complete all requested information prior to completing registration. You will need a Mastercard or Visa (or a debit card that carries the Visa/Mastercard logo) to complete the process.
- If you need to retake a test you may do so in 45 days. Examinees who have failed a subtest five or more times may be eligible for a fee voucher for subsequent attempts. To request a retake fee voucher, contact Evaluation Systems before registering to test.
The MTLE website provides test preparation materials and links. The Test Frameworks section will be particularly helpful for studying for the exams.
- There are MTLE test preparation materials available for purchase.
Many states have competency exams for beginning teachers that are designed to assess similar competencies to those in the MTLE. Below are links to study materials from several states. These materials may be helpful to you, but please remember that they are not designed specifically to meet Minnesota’s standards.
California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)
Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE)
Examinees with documented disabilities, examinees for whom English is not a primary language, and examinees whose religious practices prevent them from testing on Saturdays may be eligible for alternative testing arrangements. This process will take several weeks, so be sure to register early.