The University of Minnesota, Morris must verify all students selected by the Central Processing System (CPS) in a process called ‘verification.’ The selection of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for verification is accomplished primarily through a series of edit checks that are established by federal regulations to identify FAFSA applications with the greatest likelihood for error. Some selection by the CPS is random. Morris is required to verify all applications the CPS selects for verification.
- Verification Worksheet—Dependent V1
- Verification Worksheet—Independent V1
- Verification Worksheet—SNAP
- Verification Worksheet—Child Support Paid V3
- Verification Worksheet—Custom V4
- Verification Worksheet—Dependent V5
- Verification Worksheet—Independent V5
- Instructions for completing the IRS Data Retrieval »
Once you have completed your taxes, you will have to wait the appropriate length of time (two weeks if filed electronically or 8 weeks if filed by mail), then:
- Log back into www.fafsa.gov
- Click on Make FAFSA Corrections.
- Click on Financial Information tab.
- If applicable, change from “Will File” to “Already Completed.”
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval process, click on the Link to IRS link and click OK.
- On the IRS website, enter the requested information and click Submit.
- Click the box under the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” and then click Transfer Now.
- You should then receive a message “You have successfully transferred your 2012 tax information.”
- Be sure to finish going through all the steps and electronically sign (if dependent student, one parent also needs to electronically sign using PIN) and SUBMIT your FAFSA. You are not finished until you have successfully submitted your FAFSA and receive a confirmation number!
- Your school will receive your updated information in a few days.
- Instructions for requesting IRS Tax Return Transcripts »
- Go to IRS.gov
- Choose order a return or account transcript
- Choose order a transcript under Step 3
- Enter SSN, dob, street address from USPS.com, zip
- Choose Return Transcript
- Choose 2012
In addition to the verification process, you may be required to provide documentation to verify conflicting information or verify corrections you made to your processed FAFSA.
If the requested information for verification or conflicting information is not submitted by the tenth week of the term, you may lose financial aid eligibility.