Morris Grants Development Office Proposal Checklist
Brainstorm and Plan
- Discuss your plans with discipline colleagues and division chair.
- Contact the Grants Development Office with your funding needs and/or ideas.
- Obtain the proposal guidelines issued by the sponsor.
- Determine the number and type of personnel needs.
- Identify equipment and/or supply needs.
- Obtain specs and costs of any equipment.
Draft and Prepare
- Prepare the proposal abstract, summary, and narrative. (The Grants Office is available for assistance with proposal development.)
- Use appropriate forms and adhere to formatting and page number guidelines.
- Prepare the proposal budget. (The Grants Office is available for assistance with budget development.)
- Include all necessary expense items (project personnel and required effort; equipment costs; supply costs; travel costs; publication costs; undergraduate research costs; cost-share requirements, if any).
- Use correct rates for F & A (Facilities and Administration, aka indirect costs) and fringe benefits.
- Assemble the parts. These vary according to the sponsor, but may include:
- Budget justification/narrative
- Facilities and resources description
- Biographical sketches
- Letters of support
- Abstract or summary
- Project description
- Cost-share commitments
- Have a colleague and Grants Office review proposal.
- Ensure compatibility with U of M regulations:
- If needed, foundation/corporation contacted through appropriate channels (Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations guidelines followed).
- Limitation on number of proposals from institution.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) human or animal subjects training and approval secured (if appropriate or if using stem cells, chemicals, recombinant DNA, etc.)
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Parts 1 & 2 and continuing education completed.
- Submit final draft of proposal and budget to Grants Development Office five (5) working days prior to funding agency receipt deadline.
- Ensure compatibility with U of M Proposal Routing Form (PRF). (Grants Development Office will prepare the actual PRF.)
- Project-related income
- Project-related conflict of interest
- Space needs
- Cost sharing/matching
- International component
- Grants Development Office will obtain required signatures from division chair and dean.
- Grants Development Office will submit the fully signed and final proposal to sponsor.