The University of Minnesota, Morris is required to notify Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) when a student is no longer enrolled at the institution. Whenever a student‘s record is terminated, SEVIS must be notified of the correct reason for departure(i.e., departed the U.S., changed status, etc.) be provided. The reason remains a permanent part of the record and may have an affect on a student‘s future eligibility to enter the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations state that an absence from the U.S. of five months or longer constitutes a permanent departure, even if the student has maintained enrollment. Please inform the International Student Program of your situation as it pertains to your permanent departure from Morris.
Note: Departures of less than five months from the U.S. over the break periods or the summer vacation period do not need to be reported to the International Student Program.
Withdrawal from Program
- A student who has elected to permanently withdraw from the program of study should consult with an International Student Program adviser before cancelling classes. Regulations require that a student obtain prior approval from the International Student Program before withdrawing. This will allow the student to be considered legally present in the U.S. for a period of 15 days from the date of withdrawal. It also insures that the student‘s SEVIS record is terminated with the correct termination reason.
- Students may be able to arrange a Leave of Absence with Morris if they plan to resume the program of study in the future.
- The I-20 will not be valid for entry into the U.S. after a student has permanently withdrawn from the program. Students who elect to resume the program of study at a later date will need to request a new I-20 from the International Student Program.
Suspension from Program
- Suspension will be reported to SEVIS.
- The I-20 will be cancelled as a result of the suspension and cannot be used for reentry into the U.S.
- Consult with an International Student Program adviser regarding your options.
Completion of a Program of Study
- SEVIS requires that students notify the International Student Program of their completion date and the date of their departure from the U.S.
- This insures that a student’s departure from the U.S. is properly recorded on their SEVIS record.
- Students who have completed a program of study have a 60-day grace period in which to depart the U.S.
Transfer to a New School
- A student's SEVIS record must be electronically transferred to the new school before the new school can create an I-20.
- Consult with an International Student Program adviser regarding intent to transfer and to determine a SEVIS “transfer release date”.
- Students who have applications pending at multiple schools should not request a SEVIS transfer until the student has decided which school she/he will attend.
Change in visa status
- F-1 students who change their visa status (i.e., to H-1B, F-2, J-1, Permanent Resident, etc.) and who may or may not continue their program of study should notify the International Student Program immediately. The International Student Program will ask for a faxed copy of the new status.
- The International Student Program will terminate the individual‘s SEVIS record based on the change in status.