University of Minnesota Morris
Take a Virtual Campus Tour Schedule a Visit Request Info


On-Campus Employment

Students with an I-20 authorizing them to attend the University of Minnesota, Morris are eligible to work Institutional Student Employment positions on the campus.

Off-Campus Employment: Types of Authorization

All off-campus work requires work authorization. This includes:

Please Note:

Receiving a benefit in exchange for services rendered (i.e., free room/board for babysitting or free rent for being a caretaker of an apartment building) is considered to be employment and would require work permission. This type of work is only authorized by Off Campus Work Permission Based on Unforeseen Financial Change or Special Student Relief.

Off Campus Employment Based on Unforeseen Financial Change

Off-campus work permission is authorized by USCIS and is based on a student's unforeseen change in financial circumstances, his or her ability to demonstrate economic hardship, and his or her ability to document that she or he was unable to obtain on-campus employment or that such employment is insufficient.


Set up an appointment with International Student Program adviser if you would like to apply for economic hardship.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization that allows a student to work in a job related to his/her field.

General Information

Types of CPT Training F-1 Students

CPT - Internship (paid) Required by Program

CPT - Elective Internship/Employment

Extension of CPT

Application – Fill out the CPT form [LINK: to PDF CPT Form] and make and appointment with the International Student Program adviser

Employer Change Under CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Additional Information about applying for Pre or Post Optional Practical Training


Optional Practical Training (OPT) is permission for off-campus employment granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). OPT enables students to gain work experience in their field of study. 12 months of OPT is available for F-1 students. OPT may be used before or after completion of a program. Students with certain majors in science, technology, engineering, or math may be eligible for a 17-month extension of post-completion OPT (for more information about the 17 month extension see an International Student Program adviser). International Student Programs (International Student Program) must recommend OPT for a student. USCIS then provides final approval and issues an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Individuals must have an EAD before they can begin OPT employment. OPT authorization granted by USCIS cannot be changed, voided, or canceled.

Eligibility Requirements

OPT Categories

  1. Pre-completion
    • Academic Year
      During fall and /or spring semesters and student has not completed required coursework. On and off campus work combined may not exceed a total of 20 hours per week.
    • Vacation Period
      Authorization may be part-time or full-time.
  2. Post-completion

When to Apply

Step 1: Request an OPT recommendation from International Student Program.

International Student Program must process a recommendation for your OPT request. We will prepare a new I-20. This process requires at least five working days to complete.

Step 2: Submit the following items to USCIS.

Step 3: Wait for EAD to be mailed from USCIS

Requirements while you are on OPT

You must report the following information by e-mailing the International Student Program office:

Travel during Post-completion OPT

Under normal circumstances, a student who has both (1) an EAD for post-completion OPT or receipt notice and (2) a job or job offer should not experience difficulty reentering the US. If either of these two conditions is missing, then the student is assuming risk. But, during OPT your travel signatures are only valid for 6 months.