University of Minnesota Morris
Take a Virtual Campus Tour Schedule a Visit Request Info

Drivers License & State ID

Obtaining a Driver’s License

Every Minnesota resident who operates any motor vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, ATV) must have a driver's license. The operation of an automobile without a valid operator's license is illegal, punishable by fine and sometimes by jail sentence. It is also illegal to permit another person who has no valid license to drive an automobile. Every driver must become familiar with the Minnesota Vehicle Code. This covers traffic and safety rules, laws, rules of the road, allowable speed limits, and road signs and symbols.

Operator's Licenses may be obtained by passing an examination on Minnesota driving laws and a driving test on the road. Application for a new driver's license or a renewal of a driver's license can be made at any county or state office location. To obtain those locations, please see Driver's License Renewal Offices and/or Driver's License Exam Stations or contact Driver & Vehicle Services at 320-589-1755.

Before you apply for your first driver’s license you must pass a complete a driver’s test. This includes:

You can take the written test on first, third, and fifth Thursday of the month at 10 a.m. ONLY. The test center is located at 7 E. 8th St., Morris, Minnesota, 320-762-7808.

You can take your road test on the first, third, and fifth Thursday of the month between 9 a.m.–12 p.m. and between 1 p.m.–3:30 p.m.:

Once you pass the written test you are given an instruction permit.

Instruction Permit

An instruction permit is valid for one year from the date of application.

If you are 19 years of age or older, you must apply for and have a permit for at least three months before taking a road test. This includes applicants who can't show proof of previously having a license or instruction permit.

If you are 18 years of age or under, you must apply for and hold a Minnesota instruction permit for at least six months before taking a road test.

Permits are renewable. You must carry your permit whenever you practice driving.

When practicing with a permit, you must be accompanied by a licensed adult driver. If you are under 18, the supervising driver must be 21 years of age or older. If you are 18 or older, the supervising driver must be an adult of 18 years of age or older.

A fee of $9.50 will be charged once you pass your written test in order to send you an instruction permit. Please also bring with you the following:

Road Test

Before you take the road test, make sure you practice driving with someone who has a valid driver's license. Take the road test only when you and your instructor feel comfortable with your driving abilities.

A fee of $18.50 will be charged for your driver's license.

Obtaining a State Identification Card

As an international student, you have at least two forms of picture identification: your passport and your University of Minnesota, Morris student I.D. card. We recommend that you also get a Minnesota I.D. card or a Minnesota Driver's License. These two, which look identical except for the title, are the standard forms of identification here and are usually required when making financial transactions, especially when writing checks, and at some other times, such as when an age check is necessary (i.e. purchase of cigarettes and alcohol, restricted movies at the cinema).

To get a Minnesota I.D. card, bring the following: