Archive & Special Collections Job Description
Date: April 2013
Classification & Title: Arts/Communication 2701
Pay rate: $7.50
Supervisors: Jayne Blodgett & Stephen Gross
The University of Minnesota Morris Archives and West Central Minnesota Historical Research Center is a dual facility that holds historical materials both from the region and the college. The Archives & Special Collections Assistants keeps regularly scheduled hours, help maintain and organize the collection, perform basic archival responsibilities and work with students, faculty, staff and general community patrons.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff the archives and special collections areas of the library
- Accession archival materials according to archival standards
- Shelve and retrieve materials
- Assist patrons (onsite, phone and online queries) with research, scanning and photocopying
- Work with library staff in developing and implementing special projects including image/document database development (scanning, loading files to repositories, metadata work, etc.) and other work with special collections
- File materials and perform general office maintenance
- Assist in collecting appropriate materials from campus departments according to collection development policies
- Assist in the processing of special collection items
- Shelve, label and other duties as assigned
Minimum/Essential Qualifications Needed to Perform Job
Ability to work according to an established schedule, basic computer skills, attention to detail, ability to work without close supervision, organizational skills, ability to lift and move heavy boxes, ability to work with the public, some understanding of historical research methods and approaches, ability to solve problems and attention to detai.
Interest in historical methods, research or museum/archival studies.
The employer reserves the right to change or add duties to this position as long as the changes and/or additions are consistent with the job classification. If needed or upon employers’ discretion with authorization from financial aid office.