EndNote is a bibliographic software licensed by the University of Minnesota, Morris Briggs Library for use by current Morris students, staff, and faculty. When an employee or student leaves UMM, they are instructed to uninstall EndNote from their computer.
Individuals may download and install EndNote on up to three locations. The EndNote program cannot be installed on flash drives. A copy of your EndNote Library can be saved to your portable storage device by going to File in your EndNote library and then choosing Save a Copy. Use EndNote to search online databases, organize references, and create bibliographies. You can even insert citations directly into your manuscript using the Cite While You Write tool. It all starts with creating libraries and then building your reference sources around specific topics or projects. When you're ready to generate a bibliography or insert footnotes in your paper, EndNote will have thousands of citation and journal styles for you to choose from. You can also customize EndNote to reflect the databases and styles that are of the most use.
For your convenience, EndNote is installed on all Morris computer lab machines.
How do I learn more?
You can also read the EndNote Online User Guides as well as the EndNote X6 Windows User Guide. If you still have questions please ask our Instruction Coordinator or our Reference Coordinator. We also will be offering hands–on tutorial sessions during fall semesters.
- Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements.
- Download EndNote
- If off-campus, you will be prompted to authenticate using your university X-500 username and password. The follow the installation steps. The following are for Windows.
- Next Save the file.
- Then double click on the EndNote.exe file in the Downloads folder.
- Click OK to open it and then Run.
- Extract the files to the Desktop or some easily discoverable place.
- Next locate the EndNote license file and installation file.
- Double-click on the EndNote ENX6Insti.msi Installer file.
- Click Next and then Accept. Click Next again. When prompted, choose the “Custom” install option. This will install additional output styles, connection files and filters. Select “Additional connections,” “Additional filters,” and “Additional styles.” These options will have a large red X in front of them until changed to “Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive”. Note: To install up to 5,000 of the available EndNote bibliographic styles go to output styles. There you will have the option of downloading individual output styles or a complete set.
- Click Next and then again to save.
- Click Next and then Finish. EndNote should now be installed. You are ready to create your EndNote Library.
Note: Do NOT install as an administrator. It is not necessary to synch with EndNote Web. If the file does not download you may have to turn off your anti-virus and/or anti-spyware programs temporarily.
What are the System Requirements?
Cite While You Write
Cite While You Write allows EndNote to format citations and create a bibliography for the document that is open in Word. You can format, unformat and reformat a document, all without exiting your word processor. In Order for Cite While You Write to install properly, it is recommended that Word be installed prior to installing EndNote.
If you are upgrading from an earlier EndNote version it is highly recommended, but not required, that you uninstall any earlier version of EndNote before installing EndNote. If you have custom styles, import filters, and connection files, you will want to back them up. If you install the new version without uninstalling the existing one, you will be given options on what to do with your custom EndNote files. Upgrading will NOT delete your EndNote Libraries.
To update EndNote after you have installed the currently available downloadable version and gain any added enhancements, simply click on Help from your EndNote Library screen and then EndNote Program Updates. Follow the steps. Your EndNote library and styles will remain intact.
Download the University of Minnesota, Morris library catalog connection file to enable searching of SUMMON from within your EndNote library. After downloading the connection file titled “U Minnesota-Morris”, simply save the file to your EndNote Connections folder located in your EndNote folder found within MyDocuments. An alternate pathway might also be Local Disk/Program Files/EndNote/Connections. The easiest way to save the file is simply double-click on the “U Minnesota-Morris” connection file icon from your Desktop. Go to file and choose Save As from the drop-down menu. You can rename the file as you wish. Click Save. Note: You must first have the EndNote program installed.
EndNote Import Filters
- Windows users:
- C:\Program Files\EndNote\Filters
- Mac users:
- Applications: EndNote: Filters
Database Import/Export Instructions
EndNote import/export filter instructions for the PC help navigate the times when you have to export a citation from a database and then import the file into EndNote.
Endnote X6 for Mac is available for download.
EndNote X6 for Windows is available for download.
If you are experiencing problems installing EndNote or have questions concerning its use please contact librarians Peter Bremer or Jayne Blodgett or Melissa Engleman. EndNote also provides a useful online resource called Frequently Asked Questions that may list an answer to the issue you’re dealing with.
EndNote Demonstration Sessions
There are no sessions currently scheduled.