Take a Virtual Campus Tour Schedule a Visit Request Info

Understanding transfer credits

Understanding transfer credits

All transfer credit is evaluated by the University of Minnesota, Morris transfer evaluation coordinator. Acceptance of transfer credit is governed by University policy, the Morris campus Scholastic Committee, and the faculty. If questions arise with regard to transfer of specific courses, the transfer evaluation coordinator confers with the appropriate discipline faculty

Credits and grades are assigned by the previous (source) college. Morris, as the receiving college (target), decides which credits meet Morris degree requirements and transfer.

UMM accepts the validity of an accredited transfer institution’s decisions regarding credit value, grades, content as described, and level of instruction—introductory or advanced—of its courses and transfers those courses accordingly.

UMM accepts transfer coursework from foreign institutions of higher education which is applicable to the student’s degree program. The transfer evaluation coordinator has the responsibility of determining the level and credit value of courses from material provided by the foreign institution that describes the coursework.

UMM accepts transfer coursework:

Credits and grades from previous college

Credits and grades are assigned by the previous college. The University of Minnesota posts only the name of each previous college with the number of credits accepted on students’ official transcripts. Transfer courses appear in the Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports. Transfer courses may be applied, with appropriate approval, to general education requirements and major and minor requirements. Grades earned in a transfer course cannot be applied to the GPA on the University of Minnesota transcript or to GPA-based degree honors. Grades earned at other institutions will not be calculated into the University of Minnesota GPA except for teaching licensure.

Courses in religion

Religious studies from public regionally accredited colleges go through the normal transfer review. Religious studies from private colleges go through a special faculty review committee.

Specialized Morris programs

In addition to coursework from the traditional liberal arts disciplines, Morris accepts for transfer courses in two specialized programs offered on the Morris campus—education and management.

Remedial courses

To be acceptable for transfer, coursework must be college level, not remedial. Coursework is remedial if the majority of the content is found in the usual secondary school curriculum.

Technical and applied courses

To maintain consistency, Morris accepts transfer courses that are appropriate for application to the mission of a liberal arts college. Courses that are technical and applied will not transfer to Morris. Coursework in the generally accepted liberal arts disciplines (e.g., mathematics, philosophy, history, geology) is usually accepted.

Proprietary colleges

Morris does not routinely accept transfer coursework from proprietary technical colleges, business colleges, and similar postsecondary schools. However, credit from these programs for knowledge acquired in liberal arts may be obtained by special examination. Determination must be made that instruction is collegiate level and appropriate for Morris’s liberal arts mission before credit is awarded.

Grading policy

Morris accepts for transfer coursework with the grade of D or above, subject to the restrictions of Morris’s own degree requirements. See Grading and Transcript Policy.

Understanding Morris degree requirements for transfer students

Not every course that transfers will help the student graduate. Morris’s bachelor of arts program requires coursework in several categories: general education, major/minor courses with prerequisites, and electives. The key question is, “Will the student’s credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program chosen?”

Adding teaching licensure after earning a degree from another college

University students transferring to Morris after earning a degree from another college should note the following information.