Room changes are not allowed until after the second week of classes each semester. The Office of Residential Life confirms the room assignments of all residents during this time. After this period of time, you are allowed to make room changes.
Steps to a Successful Room Change
First discuss your intention to change rooms with your roommate. If you are moving to get away from your roommate, your CA may be able to help you work out problems you are having. Whatever your reasons for wanting a room change, consult with your CA and then contact your HD for specific room change procedures. The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to deny any room change request.
Room Change Quick Steps to Follow
- Obtain appropriate paperwork from your CA at least three days before your move.
- You must speak with your roommate at least two days before you plan to move if you have not already done so. NOTE: Your roommate has to sign the Assignment Change Request (ACR) form before you can move.
- Turn in your completed ACR at least two days before you plan to move and schedule a check-out time with your CA.
In extreme circumstances days of notification may be flexible.
During the academic year, empty rooms may become available for those residents wishing to change their current room assignment. You may place yourself on a waiting list for empty rooms by contacting the Office of Residential Life. Anyone wishing to move into an empty room alone will be charged the appropriate single or super single rate for that room beginning on the day of the room change.
Moving into an empty room without following proper room change procedures or receiving permission from the HD or ORL will result in an improper move charge of $60.
Should your roommate move out of your room for any reason, you have two weeks to do one of the following:
- Find a new roommate of your choice within 8 business days. If this option is selected and no new roommate is found, you will be billed the super single supplemental rate from the date of the departure of your former roommate.
- Take out a super single room contract for the remainder of the year provided there is no demand for the space and pay the supplemental rate associated with that agreement. Once you have selected the super single rate, you may only revert back to a double rate at the end of a semester unless you have a new roommate move in with you. You must notify your HD two weeks prior to the end of the semester of a desire for a roommate.
- Remain in your room and accept the assignment of a roommate by Residential Life. If such a person is not available, you may be assigned to another half-occupied room in your hall or be billed the super single rate.
Should occupancy in an apartment fall to three students, the remaining students will be billed one super single supplemental rate among them from the date of departure of their former apartment-mate unless they find a new apartment-mate within eight business days of the date of departure of their former apartment-mate or until they are assigned a new apartment-mate by the Office of Residential Life if the space is needed.
Should occupancy in an apartment fall to two students, the remaining students will both be billed the super single supplement rate from the date of departure of their former apartment-mates unless they find new apartment-mates within eight business days or until they are assigned new apartment-mates (if available) by the Office of Residential Life if the space is needed. The two remaining students may request to be reassigned by the Office of Residential Life to another apartment to avoid paying super single supplemental rates.
Should occupancy in an apartment fall to one student, the remaining student must accept reassignment unless she/he finds at least one new apartment-mate, who will also be billed for the super single supplement, within eight business days of the date of departure of the former apartment-mate(s); however, if the space is needed, one or two more apartment-mates may be assigned by the Office of Residential Life and rates will be billed based on total occupancy as indicated above.
Students will be charged super single room supplemental rates after a roommate moves out if they do not find another roommate, accept relocation to another room, or choose not to have a roommate assigned. Super single supplemental rates will be assessed from the date of departure of your former roommate.