UMM Home >
Violence Prevention > How to Help
How Can You Help?
- Offer unconditional friendship and support.
- Be clear that you are there to listen, and not to judge.
- Tell the person that it is not his/her fault.
- Accept what he/she tells you.
- Identify the unhealthy behaviors.
- Acknowledge the scariness of sexual violence or relationship violence.
- Encourage the person to build a support system.
- Spread gossip.
- Directly confront the abuser.
- Blame the person for the assault or abuse.
- Rush, make sure you have time to listen.
- Make them do something they are not ready to do.
- Criticize the person.