Area of Concentration
Students wishing to identify an individual Area of Concentration
may do so by means of the following procedure:
1. The student should first consult with his/her adviser about personal
2. In consultation with the adviser and perhaps other faculty, the
student should develop a plan of courses that constitute
an Area of Concentration.
3. The student should prepare a written summary of his/her proposed
curriculum plan on the Area of Concentration form. Only the approved form, revised July 2007, will be accepted. The form is an MS Word Form and must be typed; download the form below. NOTE: use the tab key to move to the next field. This summary should include the following:
◊ A statement of rationale as per instructions on the form
◊ Title of the Area of Concentration (major)
◊ A list of courses and/or other experiences directly related to the Area of
◊ Provide a copy of a comparable program (major) from another institution.
4. The student should submit this curriculum plan to the adviser
and additional faculty member(s) as necessary for approval. The
request for approval should then be forwarded to the appropriate Division
Chair and to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
and Dean. The Dean's Office will send a notification of approval of
the student's Area of Concentration to the student, the adviser, other
identified faculty, the Division Chair, and the Registrar.
5. Any changes in the curriculum program plan should be submitted in writing, signed by the adviser, and transmitted to the Office of the Vice
Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean.
ahr/10/07Area of Concentration Form
Download the form below:
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.