Area of Emphasis
Students wishing to identify an individual Area of Emphasis may do
so by means of the following procedure:
1. The student should first consult with his/her adviser
about personal curriculum objectives.
2. In consultation with the adviser and perhaps other faculty,
the student should develop a plan of courses that constitute
an Area of Emphasis.
3. The student should prepare a written summary of his/her
proposed curriculum plan on the Area of Emphasis form. Only the approved form, revised July 2007, will be accepted. The form is an MS Word Form and must be typed; download the form below. NOTE: use the tab key to move to the next field. . This summary should include
◊ A statement of rationale as per instructions on the form.
◊ Title of the Area of Emphasis (minor)
◊ A list of courses and/or other experiences directly related
to the Area of Emphasis (minor)
◊ Provide a copy of a comparable program (minor) from another institution.
4. The student should submit this curriculum plan to the adviser
and additional faculty member(s) as necessary for approval. The
request for approval should then be forwarded to the
appropriate Division Chair and to the Office of the
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean. The
Dean's Office will send a notification of approval
of the student's Area of Emphasis to the student,
the adviser, other identified faculty, the Division
Chair, and the Registrar.
5. Any changes in the curriculum program plan should be submitted in writing, signed by the adviser, and transmitted to the Office of the Vice
Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean.
ahr/10/07Area of Emphasis Form
Download the form below:
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.