- A focus on making the individual a continuing active, independent learner, rather than a passive learner dependent on other's authority;
- An emphasis on knowledge and skills that are generic and essential for an active, responsible person in any vocation, profession, and activity as a citizen;
- Preparation of productive work that includes developing the capacity and flexibility to shift careers and to continue to develop competencies;
- A capacity to develop and refine a sense of values in one's self, to understand the values of others, and to apply values and ethical principles in actions;
- An understanding of other cultures;
- A recognition of societal needs and individual responsibilities;
- A concern with future needs and problems caused by cultural, economic, political, and technological changes in society.
Definition adopted by the Association of American Colleges-1978