- If you haven't started to identify some career directions, continue the steps noted in the "Freshman/Sophomore Year" section.
- Consult with your academic advisor or a career counselor.
- Join a professional association in area of interest.
- Assume leadership position in club/organization.
- Check a career area of interest by doing an internship.
- Talk with internship counselors.
- Attend workshops on job search strategies, letters and resume writing, interviewing, etc.
- Prepare a resume
- If you're thinking about graduate school:
Ask yourself why? (list pros and cons)
Talk to faculty.
Research programs of interest.
Attend Graduate/Professional School Career Day & gather info. from representatives.
Talk to faculty in field or academic advisor.
- In fall/winter quarter, consider taking entrance exams spring of junior year (gives you time to retake exam in the fall if necessary).
- Visit with Career/Personal Counselor
- Complete interest/value/skill assessment
- Alumni Career Network
(use this to identify an alum working in the field if you don't know anyone)
- Alumni Career Fair
- Career Resource Center
- Directory of Professional Associations
- Video " Introduction to Internships"
- Internship Binders of Opportunities
- Career Services books
- Sample resumes
- Petersons Guides to Professional and Graduate Schools
- College Blue Book and other print resources
- Graduate/Professional School contacts.
- Test registration booklets
- Exam schedules
Student Counseling, 231 Behmler Hall, UMM, 589-6060
The Career Services, 110 Briggs Library, UMM, 589-6065