UMM Home >
Career Services >
Job Application Tools > Employment Interviews > Questions
Questions an Employer Might Ask
- Tell me about yourself!
- What are your major strengths?
- What is a weakness that you have, and what are you doing to correct it?
- What can you do that someone else can't?
- Why should I hire you over other candidates?
- What qualifications do you have that make you feel that you would be successful in this field.
- What were the three most important events (decisions) of your life?
- Are you a leader?
- What do you do in your leisure time?
- Tell me about an accomplishment in which you take pride.
- What magazines or books do you read? Why?
- What qualities do you admire in others?
- Where do you hope to be in five (ten) years?
- How much money do you hope to earn at age 30? 35?
- What does success mean to you?
- What personal characteristics are necessary for success in your chosen field?
- What is your career goal?
- How does your education relate to our needs?
- What were your favorite and least favorite subjects in school?
- What kinds of professors did you like?
- What is your G.P.A.?
- Why did you major in ____? Did you always plan to major in ____?
- Why did you go to ____? (school)?
- If you were starting all over, what courses would you take?
- What percentage of your college expenses did you earn?
- Do you have plans for graduate work?
- Are your grades an indication of you academic achievements?
- What position in our company/organization do you want to work for?
- Would you make a good ____? (e.g. sales rep, advisor, editor, etc..)
- Why do you want to work for us? Why are you interviewing with us?
- Why should I hire you?
- In addition to the literature we sent out, what other sources did you use to fin out about our company/organization?
- Why are you interested in this field?
- How long do you intend to stay with ____ (our company/organization)?
- What would be your greatest contribution to our operation?
- Can you handle the responsibilities of this position?
- In what area of the country would you prefer to work?
- What quealifications do you have that would make you successful with us?
- What are the disadvantages of this field?
- What has annoyed you about people that you have worked with?
- What have you learned from some of your past jobs?
- Do you work well under pressure?
- Do you prefer a large or small company/organization? Why?
- What jobs have you enjoyed the most? The least? Why?
- Do you like routine work?
- How often, and in what way, did you communicate with your subordinates and superiors?
- Do you like regular hours?
- What specific skilss acquired or used in previous jobs relate to this position?
- How do you handle criticism?
- What do you think determines a person's progress in a company?
- Do you like to travel?
- What kind of jobs have you held? How were they obtained and why did you leave?
- What kind of boss do you prefer?