UMM Home > Office of the Registrar > Multi-I Program

Multi-I Registration

Attendance at Another University of Minnesota Campus

Taking classes on campus plus online at another campus

Multi-I Application Form - important billing and financial aid information is on page two

Approval form - determines if courses will count for graduation

Financial Aid Approval- students receiving any grants, loans, work-study, or scholarships, must discuss plans with a financial aid officer. Written approval on the application form is required. Note that NOT ALL classes taught at the University of Minnesota are eligible to receive financial aid money!

Setup to register- Submitting completed forms in person works best, hours are 8-4:30, M-F in 212 Behmler Hall. Please allow adequate time for processing these forms. Students are notified via email when their setup is complete and they can register themselves.

Summer Registration - ALL degree seeking students MUST apply for and be set up as a Multi-I student before registering for classes at another campus in the University of Minnesota system. This is separate from the Consortium Agreement. Do this in mid-to-late March!

A Consortium Agreement exists among the five campuses of the University of Minnesota for purposes of allowing students to take classes from another campus. Under this agreement students are allowed to attend another campus for either Fall OR Spring semester during an academic year without losing their status or jeopardizing their eligibility for student financial assisted programs at their home campus.

It is critical that students understand their association with each campus where they are taking classes and the information provided to them on the different One Stop sites and portal views. If you have questions please contact us.

One Stop Sites for other University of Minnesota campuses-
Twin Cities

This is where to go to register, check grades, check student account. This is the "visiting" campus and UMM is your "home" campus.

MyU portals - will be available to students from each campus where they are taking classes. Students may "change views" on the portal to see information relevant to their home and visiting campuses. Choose "change views" next to your name at the top of the portal page.

Billing- students receive a bill from each campus for tuition and fees.  If they are assessed duplicate fees (i.e., Student Service Fee), students must contact the campus where they do NOT want to pay the fee(s) and ask that these fees be reversed.

If students are attending another campus and are registered for all classes at that "host" campus then the billing email comes directly from them. Any financial aid received at the "home" campus will be sent to the student in the form of a credit balance refund check which should then be used to pay the bill from the "host" campus.

Financial Aid note to students - If you are registered for classes at both your home and a host campus during the same term, you will receive a bill from each campus for tuition and fees. If you receive financial aid, it will be based on the combined credits for which you are registered at both campuses. However, your aid will be disbursed and applied to your bill at your home campus ONLY; it will NOT apply directly to your bill at your host campus. You will be responsible for paying that bill separately. If you receive a financial aid credit balance refund check, those funds can be used to pay your bill at your host campus.

Extended-term courses (section numbers start with B, C, D, or E)

  • Require strong self-discipline to stay on track. You do the assignments at your own pace (within guidelines) and you have up to nine months.
  • Have only one section open for registration per month, year-round. There are no permissions for late registration after a section closes at the end of a month. Simply register in the next month's section. After section E closes, go to the next semester.
  • Most types of financial aid DO NOT apply

Courses from other campuses - the approval form cited above is used for clarification and approval of how any NON-MORRIS course will count toward graduation. Not all classes at the University of Minnesota will count in the Bachelor of Arts program at UMM.

--Approval for acceptance toward degree and General Education requirements is done by Judy Korn, Transfer Evaluation Coordinator, 212 Behmler Hall.

--Approval for use in the major/minor is done by faculty discipline coordinators.