UMM Home >
Student Affairs >
Funding extraordinary opportunities
UMM Catalyst: Funding extraordinary
Extraordinary opportunities create life-changing experiences. UMM Catalyst enhances the successful undergraduate co-curricular experiences of UMM students by supporting life-changing travel, creative projects, and other adventures. Created in 2004, the fund is supported by gifts from UMM faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends. Funds support individual rather than group experiences.
Funding for other opportunities:
- Funds may be by individual students to cover expenses for costs associated with the pursuit of life-changing undergraduate co-curricular opportunities. Requests should be for extraordinary opportunities.
- Students may receive funding for one Catalyst experience during their academic career at UMM. All degree-seeking UMM students enrolled for six credits or more and in good academic and community standing are eligible to participate.
- Funding requests will be reviewed throughout the academic year and awarded by the vice chancellor for student affairs. Funds distributed and the number of recipients are determined at the discretion of the vice chancellor for student affairs discretion.
If you’re funded:
- If you are a student organization or a group of students seeking support, go to: the Activity Fee Review Committee (including the Assistance to Student Groups fund), Coke Student Initiative Travel Support, Multi-Ethnic Student Program Travel Support, and/or Salt Springs funds for American Indian Student education for support.
- If you are seeking support for travel to academic research conferences, apply for Bos Research Fund and Tate Memorial Fund for Student Learning.
Catalyst funds have been allocated to:
- Work with the Director of Student Activities to coordinate travel plans and funding reimbursements.
- Have a great experience.
- Adhere to UMM policies and procedures, which include the University's Student Conduct Code and Student Activities travel policy. A copy of the conduct code is available on the Safety and Emergencies website. In addition, the following policies apply:
- This travel funding includes the expectation that your travel is connected to the University of Minnesota, Morris. As such students are expected to conduct themselves respectfully and responsibly in demeanor, dialogue, and behavior.
- It is expected that funds will be used to support activities consistent with the stated purpose of your application.
- * Violation of policies may result in a revoking of Catalyst funding and Student Behavior Committee action as outlined in the Student Conduct Code.
- Submit a one-page, typed summary report on their experience and two photos (which may be used on campus website and in printed materials) to receive the final funding allocation.
If you’d like to donate to provide more extraordinary opportunities for UMM students, please contact the Office of Fund Development.
- Send students with a passion for politics to their respective Democratic and Republican national conventions.
- Support recording expenses related to recording of a student's original composition for the annual ERM Media CD titled Masterworks of the New Era.
- Support exceptional Cougar football players participation in the All-American Bowl.
Are you a UMM student who has been invited to participate in an extraordinary opportunity? Catalyst funds could help make your biggest dream a reality. Contact the Office of Student Affairs or the Director of Student Activities for more information.
Other student travel and research grants and resources:
Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities
Multi-Ethnic Student Program Travel Support
Scholarships for Study Abroad
Financial support for student organizations