Student Activities, Conferences & Special Events
Event Managers are responsible for assisting with the coordination and delivery of events (by on-and off-campus users) on the Morris campus and at the LaFave House. Working with the staff in Conferences & Special Events, Managers will meet with departments, disciplines, student organizations and off-campus groups to identify, coordinate and meet the needs for their programs including media, custodial, catering, and setups. Managers are responsible for the management of University facilities and resources in order to assure the success of programs assigned to them. These staff members are highly skilled and trained as they are required to work with all facets of program management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Along with Conferences & Events staff, meet with organizer(s) of events to assess program/event requirements and assist them with planning their event.
• Work with event organizers to assure programs are developed in a way that can be successfully implemented on the Morris Campus.
• Assist event organizers understand the costs and risks associated with the events they are developing.
• Assure that all advance notification and paperwork are competed in a timely fashion for events.
• Coordinate the services necessary to successfully manage events, often involving these units:
o University facilities
o Custodial Staff
o Plant Services Staff
o Student Center Tech Crew
o Information Center Staff
o Catering and Dining Services Staff
o Conferences and Event Staff
• Oversee details in final setup day of the event to assure the proper appearance (working closely with, for instance, with Plant Services, Catering, Media, etc.). May include setting up buffets, tables/chairs, light media equipment, etc.
• Assist organizers in hosting the event when necessary
• Help organizers to find creative solutions to last minute situations
• Facilitate emergency management protocols in the case of weather or other disaster
• Staff event and assure that it runs as smoothly as possible
Post Event Wrap-Up:
• Assist with event take-down, if needed
• Coordinate any follow up details necessary at completion of event
• File report following event detailing attendance, successes and challenges
Note: Typically not regular hours associated with this position hours are determined by a specific event, for example three hours in the evening. Hours will be scheduled on a weekly or bi-weekly basis as event support is needed.
Posted November 29, 2011.
Minimum/Essential Qualifications Needed to Perform Job:
• Must be a full-time student, carrying an average of 12 credits or more per semester and maintain a GPA of 2.3 or above.
• Ability to use human relations skills to work effectively with a diverse campus community (students, staff, faculty, and alums) and campus guests.
• Knowledge of campus life, student organizations, and the Morris community.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to act with maturity and tact in unexpected situations.
• Experience in event management.
• Experience with sound and lighting equipment.
• Strong knowledge of UMM organization, procedures and policies.
• Impeccable organization and time management.
Hours Per Week:
- Preferred Application Procedure(s): Contact Karen for application
- Contact: Laura Walton
Number of Positions Available
- Current Openings: 0
- Average Openings: 4
- Current Openings: 0
- Average Openings: 0